CNBC: disappointing revenue outlook: From Dull errr ...I mean Dell :)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Below from Dell

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks fell on Friday as a disappointing revenue outlook from technology bellwether Dell Inc. (DELL) and a Wall Street downgrade of home builders dampened sentiment.

On Thursday, personal computer maker Dell posted earnings that reflected slow sales in the consumer market and offered a revenue outlook that disappointed Wall Street. The stock fell 5 percent to $39.51 on the New York Stock exchange.

So is Apple and the Mini doing better than we thought :-D ???

DELL___\tDell Inc.___\t39.89___\t-1.68___\t-4.04%___\t24.92 Mil___

Last trade 10:50 AM ET___

AAPL___\tApple Computer, Inc.___\t81.54___\t+3.18___\t+4.06%___\t9.281 Mil___Last trade 10:50 AM ET___

GTW___\tGateway, Inc.___\t4.45___\t-0.08___\t-1.77%___\t670800___

Last trade 10:44 AM ET___

IBM___\tInternational Business Machines Corp.___\t92.75___\t-0.01___\t-0.01%___\t886700___Last trade 10:45 AM ET___

HPQ___\tHewlett-Packard Company___\t21.30___\t-0.18___\t-0.84%___\t5.105 Mil___Last trade 10:45 AM ET_

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Ouch. I think that's bad news for Apple. If the overall market for computer purchases is down - and it's hard to think of a better indicator of that than Dell - that means people won't be buying Macs as much either. There's simply no way that interest in Macs could take a bite out of Dell.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Ouch. I think that's bad news for Apple. If the overall market for computer purchases is down - and it's hard to think of a better indicator of that than Dell - that means people won't be buying Macs as much either. There's simply no way that interest in Macs could take a bite out of Dell.

My 2 cents

iPod sales full growth of Apple PC sales

Dell just down from "blah" products
  • Reply 3 of 4
    well we know it's not computers that are floating apple's boat right now.

I read Dell's (and i'm sorry, you may not like Dell's products but the business is run well and pretty revolutionarily at that) statement last night. It was curious. They had a record quarter but net was brought down by some tax issues.

I think they had a 21% increase in product shipments, and without the inclusion of the tax pay-out it would have generated the same net earnings as last year.

Then it went on to say that because of the way they manufacture, they were able to hold down costs and increase profits. so basically they are working harder and selling more units just to stay even with last years profits. which means even though they are getting components cheaper their margins are shrinking. Curious.

So imagine what other manufacturers are going through. no wonder IBM got out, and Carly was fired.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    They've also had very strong sales in their peripheral areas, most notably printers and TVs. Dell Jukebox, for whatever reason, narrowly beat their growth expectations.

19% year-over-year sales to businesses doesn't seem to be shabby either.

http://news.com.com/Dell+beats+estim...l?tag=nefd.top

Haven't delved into the statements, but if they're having to hone manufacturing processes to offset lower margins (is this really the case?), that's not a good thing. It'll only get you so far.

On a sidenote, the board of directors authorized a 2-for-1 stock split on Apple, for those holding shares at COB on the 18th. Stock split will be effective on the 28th.