DIY computer power supply issue

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anybody ever try "retrofitting" a PC power supply for use in a Mac? Can it be done, or is it utterly futile? Are there better options (wrt acquiring Mac power supplies for older computers)?

Upon physical examination of the primary power plug (the wiring harness that connects to the motherboard), most of the wires are identical in color and position, with the exception of 2 or 3 that do not match in color but correspond in position. Is this a case of the nonmatching wire colors indicating different/incompatible voltage sources on those lines, or do different power supply manufacturers sometimes substitute a slightly different color here and there, but the electrical characteristics therein are still the same/universal? For sure, all of the orange, red, and black wires are in their expected positions on the plug.

Anybody have some guidance on the matter?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I've done it several times with iMac boards, as long as you have the pinouts for the Mac board, wiring up an ATX->mac convertor is just a little matter of soldering and heatshrink tubing.

The only other real difference is that ATX power supplies turn on via their PWR_ON line being grounded, and mac power supplies are usually activated by bringing the signal line high (5V). this page has some details as how to do this.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thank you for the great response. The part about the difference between how a PC starts up vs. a Mac seems to be an especially crucial point (which explains why nothing happened when I simply plugged in the power supply connector as-is :o ), and I thank you for making special note of it here!