Really long startup Time..

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Good morning everyone,

I have a Dual 2.0 G5, i just got, and a revA 12" PB.

Both take about 10 mins to startup. I get to the Desktop, I can see the desktop image but nothing else, just the beach ball of death..

On my Laptop it can take up to 15mins!...

I have repaired permissions on both and have just run tech tools on the tower it passed all tests..

what is the problem here???

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Hmm strange. My iMac G5 1.6 starts up in less than 30 secs.

You could try installing a fresh copy of OSX on and see if that helps

Also are they all connected on a network? I remember when me and my dad had our computers on a network the start up times would be longer try taking them off the network see if that helps
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I think there was a post over at MacOSXhints.com that with Panther startup (actually login) takes large amounts of time if you have a lot of installed fonts. Remove some fonts and try it.

EDIT: i found it. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...41126165403605
  • Reply 3 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

Good morning everyone,

I have a Dual 2.0 G5, i just got, and a revA 12" PB.

Both take about 10 mins to startup. I get to the Desktop, I can see the desktop image but nothing else, just the beach ball of death..

On my Laptop it can take up to 15mins!...

I have repaired permissions on both and have just run tech tools on the tower it passed all tests..

what is the problem here???

flick.

This problem started with 10.3.7. It affects people on networks. The computer spends a long time doing something with the network and this delays startup. I've had the same problem. I'm hoping my new PowerBook won't have it.

Although fonts would make sense. I have loads.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Try this

Delete the"fontsTableAnnex" cache file from System/Library/Caches

see if it helps
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I had the same problem after the incremental update to 10.3.7. It took about 5 mins to get to the desktop.

I reinstalled 10.3 and downloaded the BIG combo 10.3.7 updater. My iMac is now SNAPPIER? and starts up in seconds!