Doom 3

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have been waiting for this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad I have a PB G4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I am moving this discussion to the OS X forum, where it says to discuss games.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I am moving this discussion to the OS X forum, where it says to discuss games.

Don't bother - I've done it for you - to Software
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Don't bother - I've done it for you - to Software

Thats what I meant, thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    is the mac version g5 only then?

would love to play this, but i consider gaming to be a bit of a waste of time these days.

of course retro-gaming is a different matter! THAT's nostalgia!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Yeah, but I love a good shooter. I am sick of UT 2004, & Halo. I am wondering if it will run on a G4 at all?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    You can perhaps take this which a pinch of salt, but I got this from a aspyr (game publishers) press release.

Quote:

Full system requirements call for a G4 or G5/1.5GHz or faster, 512MB RAM, 2.0GB hard disk space, ATI Radeon 9600 or Nvidia GeForceFX 5200 or better 3D graphics with at least 64MB VRAM and DVD drive.

They originally said G5 only, but seem to have changed their minds.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    So, I have a 1 Ghz PB.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The major requirement of DOOM3 is not so much raw CPU power as it is memory bandwidth.

The G5 has a much fatter pipe to RAM than the G4 does, so it's a better architecture for DOOM3.

Until the G4 loses MaxBus, I don't think any G4-powered machine will run DOOM3, at least not as a supported machine.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Speaking of games, what are some good games out for the Mac at the moment. It seems to me there's a bit of a drought right now. I've had a mac for over 10 years and have always had a good game to keep me going but right now I'm struggling to find anything to really spark my interest. My all-time favourite was Deus-Ex, but I was disappointed to find that it wasn't supported in OS-X (not even in Classic-mode), and now that my iMac G5 doesn't even have an OS 9 folder at all I can't play it. I've seen there is at least one sequal to this on the PC but it doesn't seem to have made it to the Mac. I thought it played pretty well on my (at the time) 800MHz G4 iMac so I don't see why we couldn't get something similar on the latest G5s. I'm sort of waiting until Sims 2 comes out but by the time it does it'll be so "yesterday" given it's been out for so long on the PC already. Anyone got any suggestions??