non-linear fictions and iPod Photo possibilities?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, wasn't sure if this went under digital lifestyle or here... i'll leave that up to the mods to decide.

did anyone else here ever read/play through non-linear fictions when growing up? they were sometimes referred to by their brand-names like "choose your own adventure" or "twist-a-plot" or similar variants. you read through the book, and then come to something like "you come to a fork int he road. if you choose to turn left, turn to page 12. if you choose to turn right, turn to page 312. if you decide to turn back, turn to page 154." and so on. some of these series even had minimal role-playing aspects to them, as you could collect objects, keep records of skills and abilities, and have a life score and skill score that would fluctuate throughout the book.

eseentially, we're talking paper-based hypertext, folks.

well, i was just thinking how cool it would be for people to create similar works for ipod photo. you could have soundtracks, the click wheel is an easy method for choosing options and progressing through the book. yes, there's nothing stopping it from being for ANY ipod, i know, but sometimes i would love to buy books just to see some of the great artwork hat would be commissioned by very talented artists for these books. sometimes i would find myself pursuing certain choice just to come across those entries that had an accompanying illustration (even if they were bad decisions).

not sure how you'd manage all the different types of content, since (correct me if i am wrong) photos are sequestered in a very different area than either the notes or music sections of the ipod photo. but i think it would be quite interesting to see this old-school style of storytelling take on new life with this new device.

anyway, there's my thought of the day. good idea? bad idea? will it work? even if the books were free, instead of published to be sold, i am more interested in the possibility of such a genre finding new life in this day and time.