Watever happened to the Apple Phone?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There was a rumour once about Apple releasing a phone with Motorola, which would have iTunes as standard on it. That was all the was released. Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    It was as you say a rumor.

Motorola is using iTunes as the default music player on some new phones, but they have mentioned it is not an exclusive deal.

The E1060 is supposed to use iTunes but nobody knows for sure, despite a Reuters article saying it does.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rara Posts: 623member
    Motorola debuts first iTunes-compatible mobile phone:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/02/...patible.phone/
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Piece of rubbish. Can't believe all this hype about iPhone and that's what it is... Only shipping Q4 2005 anyway. F8ck that shit... Thank god apple is making good money from Moto without having to do too much.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Apparently the plot thickens as Sony introduces its own phone/music player. It will be branded with the "Walkman" name and will play open music formats such as MP3 and AAC. Are they just a step from getting iTunes integration? I hope so. I prefer the Sony Ericsson phones to anything that Nokia or Motorola puts out.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

Apparently the plot thickens as Sony introduces its own phone/music player. It will be branded with the "Walkman" name and will play open music formats such as MP3 and AAC. Are they just a step from getting iTunes integration? I hope so. I prefer the Sony Ericsson phones to anything that Nokia or Motorola puts out.

Sony and Apple have some natural synergies. I own a SE t630 and many others on boards that are Apple users like SE phones... Stevie J had the main dude of Sony speak at MacWorld 2005... Stevie J was proudly showing off a consumer HiDef Sony camcorder...

It is possible

Nokia and Moto can go kiss my asss Of all the phones I have used in the past several years (Nokia, Moto, SE), I am really happy with my t630...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    As soon as SE comes out with a phone with as nice design as the Moto RAZR V3 I'll buy it. Till then the fantastic industrial design on my RAZR compensates for the average UI.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

As soon as SE comes out with a phone with as nice design as the Moto RAZR V3 I'll buy it. Till then the fantastic industrial design on my RAZR compensates for the average UI.

The razr looks great but the fascination last for five minutes. What goot is it to have a Powerbook if it only runs Win3.1?

Ericsson all the way. If only they would work a bit closer with Salling Software...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Because all I need is a phone.

If I needed more features I probably would have bought the SE S710a/Samsung D500 or if I needed a smart phone the SE 910 or Nokia 9500.

For a phone, the RAZR is superb. Great RF in particular and quad band which I need.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Because all I need is a phone.

If I needed more features I probably would have bought the SE S710a/Samsung D500 or if I needed a smart phone the SE 910 or Nokia 9500.

For a phone, the RAZR is superb. Great RF in particular and quad band which I need.

i admit the moto RAZR v3 is quite nice, i have held it in my hands... haven't had much of a chance to check out the UI

can you comment on iSync via BlueTooth? that would be handy for us to know...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    You can't use iSync via Bluetooth (you can with USB) oddly enough despite chairing the committee Motorola uses some weird bluetooth format. This applies to basically all their phones (except the A1000 series for some reason).

On the up side the RAZR V3 does have Class 1 Bluetooth with a hundred foot range.

You can pair it with the Mac as a bluetooth device and transfer files, photos, audio, etc... that way. And yes, you can use mp3s as annoying ring tones

You can also use OnSync ($10) to sync via bluetooth for contacts only.

The UI is actually pretty good, if not as pretty as SE's. The main problem that some people have is the phonebook. The thing is there is a trick to it. The default is that all contacts show flat, this is a problem because the phone book only allows one phone number per person. So you have to scroll three versions of John Smith; John Smith Home, John Smith Mobile, John Smith Work. But you can set it to display primary contacts only and scroll sideways for the alternate contacts.

This is actually useful if one person has a lot of numbers.

The last phone I had, a Nokia, allowed 5 numbers per person; some of SE's phones only allow 3 numbers per person.

Oh, and Motorola likes having the phone numbers on the phone rather then the SIM card; this is the only way to assign caller ID photos to them (which do show up on the external screen when somebody calls, you have to resize them on the phone to show up properly though)

With the phonebook the way it is you can actually have different pictures for the same person at different locations (picture at home, picture at work, etc...) it's pretty cool that way.

Battery life is actually close to what they quote (7 hours talk, 10 days standby) if you only call people. Using bluetooth, playing games, etc... Naturally reduces the battery life.

Camera is great for a VGA (640 by 480) but it is still a phone camera; no flash, no autofocus. Basically its useful for MMS and getting photos of people for the caller ID and the odd snapshot. The glass lens, as long as it clean, makes for a decent photo for the megapixels.

Anything else you'd like to know?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    thanks electric monk, did you post this review on a thread somewhere before? very handy for those...

i think lots of people like SE, the v3 razr is something they would consider to jump ship, but not other moto phones

i absolutely love bluetooth iSync with SE T630, could not be better...

i actually started off hating mobile phones and texting, and had a huuuge problem with nokia, moto phones i have all tried before, including 3G moto-hutchinson stuff in australia in 2003/2004...

my ice white T630 just does it for me

Hey post your review if you haven't already in a thread somewhere, I think it will be handy. I think AppleInsiders deserve to be informed (if they dont) that even the Razr v3 syncs ONLY via USB cable
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Nope but I just did.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Nope but I just did.

• Reply 14 of 14
    Personally I'm still waiting on a new Apple PDA. All I need in a phone is to be able to send and receive phone calls, nothing more, nothing less.

But I also need something smaller than a notebook, but with decent functionality for when I'm away from my desk, out on IT service calls.

I realize Steve hates PDA's and the market is dying.... but yeah, I'm not fond of today's PDA's either...and lots of people aren't, which is why they are failing.

Perfect opportunity for Apple to re'create it... heck they created it in the first place... but it's stagnated since then.....

I'm rambling.....