Thinking about getting one

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been thinking about getting a Mac since they introduced the new Macmini. What Intel CPU speed would you compare the MacMini 1.25GZ? Also, would this be a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5751707270

Thanks

Tbone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by tbone_mac

I have been thinking about getting a Mac since they introduced the new Macmini. What Intel CPU speed would you compare the MacMini 1.25GZ? Also, would this be a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5751707270

Thanks

Tbone

It's very hard to compare processors between PCs and Macs. A lot of other things go into system performance besides the CPU.

When buying a mac you don't really look at CPU power/price when you start looking.

Ask yourself what you'll be doing with the computer first and I'll guarantee you'll be a lot happier if you choose a system based on that rather than price/performance.

The mini is great for web browsing, e-mailing, word processing, and dabbling with the iLife suite- well maybe a little more than dabbling, but you get the idea.

So what are you going to be using the computer for?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

It's very hard to compare processors between PCs and Macs. A lot of other things go into system performance besides the CPU.

When buying a mac you don't really look at CPU power/price when you start looking.

Ask yourself what you'll be doing with the computer first and I'll guarantee you'll be a lot happier if you choose a system based on that rather than price/performance.

The mini is great for web browsing, e-mailing, word processing, and dabbling with the iLife suite- well maybe a little more than dabbling, but you get the idea.

So what are you going to be using the computer for?

speed is all relative, and a lot of your perceptions are based on what you used before... i use my mac mini 1.25/512 ram for final cut pro HD and photoshop and it's fast enough for me (mind you, i was running final cut pro 3 on a 600mhz g3 imac/256 ram before i got the mini).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Mac mini is about equal to your average Pentium III-M laptop with a low end videocard.