New 20.1" requires Radeon 7500 or GeForce2MX?!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
System Requirements from Apple's page"

"-Power Mac G4 with an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Titanium graphics card or ATI Radeon 7500, 9000 Pro, or 9700 Pro graphics card

? PowerBook G4 with a DVI port and an Apple DVI to ADC Adapter"

Does this mean I can't use this with my Cube that has the original Radeon card? Why is this a requirement? Resolution not supported? Video Memory (I have 32MB)? Something else? I have been waiting for this and now I can't by this monitor. It such a nice monitor and a great price.

I really want this monitor so I guess I need to update my graphics card to a Radeo 7500. I think that should work in the cube, any other suggestions?

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: conny ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I just saw the requirements AFTER I just ordered one of the new 20" displays....luckily I have a GeForce2 MX on my Dual 533 at home! My mistake for not reading!!! I assume that you need one of those cards to support the higher default resolution. I'm sure anything above 1600 requires a more powerful video card.

I assume upgrading your card would work just fine. That's what I thought I would have to do for a minute....If I get one for work, that's what I would have to do too....

I can't wait to get my display!!!!

---------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 2 of 11
    It also requires OS 10.2.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Man if the 17" iMac would support dual displays instead of just mirroring I'd get one of those 20" beauties.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by conny:

<strong>System Requirements from Apple's page"

"-Power Mac G4 with an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Titanium graphics card or ATI Radeon 7500, 9000 Pro, or 9700 Pro graphics card

? PowerBook G4 with a DVI port and an Apple DVI to ADC Adapter"

Does this mean I can't use this with my Cube that has the original Radeon card? Why is this a requirement? Resolution not supported? Video Memory (I have 32MB)? Something else? I have been waiting for this and now I can't by this monitor. It such a nice monitor and a great price.

I really want this monitor so I guess I need to update my graphics card to a Radeo 7500. I think that should work in the cube, any other suggestions?

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: conny ]</strong><hr></blockquote> Go to Mac Zone and get a 22in Apple Display for $1499 and you will never look back like I did but I paid $2500 for it 6 months ago and Im still not sorry I did..

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Me and my son ]

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Me and my son ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I wonder why the 22" Cinemas are still going for $1499, when the 20" has more pixels? I'd imagine they'd at least be $1299 like the 20"... larger size makes up for less pixels, so the price should be equal.

Also, a 22" for $1499 is the same price as a 20" for $1299 plus a $200 supported graphics card... but with the 20", you get more pixels and a faster graphics card. For the Cube, I'd suggest a GeForce 3 or a Radeon 7500.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    The reason is, Apple only provided enough of a 'price protection' rebate to stores to bring them down to that price. Anything more, and you're losing money.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by conny:

<strong>I really want this monitor so I guess I need to update my graphics card to a Radeo 7500. I think that should work in the cube, any other suggestions?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

GeForce3.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Geforce 3 TI for sure. better core than the MX's
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Only problem - finding one that isn't horribly expensive is a pain, because it's the most powerful graphics card that fits in a Cube, and those deep-pocketed Cube enthusiasts know it. So they often get above $200, which is probably more than the card is worth. Still, if you want great graphics in a Cube, the GeForce 3 is the best.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    connyconny Posts: 18member
    Thanks, I bought a Geforce3 this morning for 225 bucks on eBay. I know it's expensive but I just have to have the 20.1" monitor. I have been waiting for new monitors and they release this beauty and with a great price tag. It never hurts with a faster graphics card anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Since when did you have to buy a specific video card to run a monitor! :eek: It must be the "recommended" for higher resolutions but not the minimum requirements. Surely earlier cards (with the appropriate port) will work. My Voodoo card has a max resolution of 2084x1536. Unless the Screen has more pixels than the card (which it doesn't) everything should perform 100%.

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>