New 12" Powerbook screen issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got my new 12" PB last week and almost immediately noticed that in the bottom left and right hand corners of the screen there are small areas that are brighter than the rest of the screen. It's like the corners of the surround are pinching too hard on the LCD or something. It was distracting enough that I called Apple today who have arranged to pick it up tomorrow for a full refund.

So, I went along to the London Apple store today to buy a replacement and discovered that all their new demo 12 inchers exhibit the exact same problem. It was kind of a relief to see that it wasn't just mine but I'm not very pleased that my £1000 has been spent on something which, to my eyes, is defective. I toyed with the idea of still going ahead with the refund and spending another £300 on the 15" but I wanted the 12" for its portability and my wallet won't take any more battering. i guess I'll just have to live with it.

Anyone else get a new 12" PB? What's your screen like?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyb

I got my new 12" PB last week and almost immediately noticed that in the bottom left and right hand corners of the screen there are small areas that are brighter than the rest of the screen. It's like the corners of the surround are pinching too hard on the LCD or something. It was distracting enough that I called Apple today who have arranged to pick it up tomorrow for a full refund.

So, I went along to the London Apple store today to buy a replacement and discovered that all their new demo 12 inchers exhibit the exact same problem. It was kind of a relief to see that it wasn't just mine but I'm not very pleased that my £1000 has been spent on something which, to my eyes, is defective. I toyed with the idea of still going ahead with the refund and spending another £300 on the 15" but I wanted the 12" for its portability and my wallet won't take any more battering. i guess I'll just have to live with it.

I just got mine a few days ago. My screen is perfect--except for a stuck green pixel in the middle. Lol. It however; does NOT exhibit the aforementioned problem of having different densities of light at the edges--or anywhere else for that matter.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    This is a real dilemma for me. In every other way, the PB is fine - no dead pixels or anything. My partner can't even see the problem which makes me wonder whether I'm being oversensitive. The guy in the Apple store, who had himself bought a 12" PB only yesterday, said he could see it but wasn't too bothered about it. Still, it's my eyes that the screen is offending so I suppose only I can make the decision ultimately.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mine seems to be ok....
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I've noticed the entire bottom quarter of an inch of my 12 display looks darker.

Furthermore, I can't seem to get the display to look good period.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

I've noticed the entire bottom quarter of an inch of my 12 display looks darker.

Furthermore, I can't seem to get the display to look good period.

hey ibook911 - I was disappointed with the colours compared to my ibook so I added this colour profile that a guy had made. It made colours more vibrant and saturated. Click here and follow the link to download the profile
  • Reply 6 of 13
    i just bought one of these 12inch powerbooks, I was wondering do any of you find that the fan seems to be on all the time, and the sound seems to switch between between two levels on a regular basis?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I have my new 12 inch, in closed lid mode with external display, and the fan does not bother me.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

hey ibook911 - I was disappointed with the colours compared to my ibook so I added this colour profile that a guy had made. It made colours more vibrant and saturated. Click here and follow the link to download the profile

jonnyb-

Thank you. That is the best I've seen my Powerbook's 12 inch look!! It is certainly acceptable now. Many thanks for that. I also finally got my external looking decent. I guess I'm set.

However, I really want to add a new external display. I'm thinking about Apple's 20 inch cinema or Dell's 20 inch widescreen. I know Apple's looks cooler, but the Dell has a lot of inputs, which I could use.

Again, I must thank you jonnyb. I've been using that profile for about one hour now, and the difference is amazing. You really helped to make my Powerbook more enjoyable.

I do still have the darkness towards the very bottom of the screen. That must been some kind of defect? Others have it? I don't really want to send it in though, for I don't want my Powerbook getting scratched up.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Glad that profile worked for you too!

As for the general quality of the display - I think, unfortunately, that that's how it is with the 12" PB. In my lunch hour yesterday I walked to every store in the centre of London that has Macs to see what their demo PBs looked like (What? Obsessive/Compulsive? Me?).

Sure enough, they all exibited this slightly uneven lighting thing at the bottom of the screen - even on a couple of Rev C 1.33 Ghz models that were still on show.

When I called the Apple Store the guy said (unsurprisingly) that they couldn't let me open every one of their PBs in stock until I found a display that I liked and that I'd just have to keep buying them and getting a refund until I found one I liked - I found that I wasn't that obsessive after all and gave up the chase.

So, I called Apple and cancelled my return. I guess I can live with it. I also made myself a 100% black desktop pic which makes the problem invisible to me. As I tinkered away on my new PB last night I felt a sense of relief and calm wash over me - I can relax and enjoy it now. Aaaaand breathe!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jonnyb,

Thanks. You've made me feel better too. It is nice to know it isn't a problem, well it probably shouldn't bet there, but they all have it, so we can't really do anything or worry about.

It has really impressed me, in terms of performance though. I think it is great.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    i think we should be aware that our apple computing is so problem free, if you are quite perfectionist (and that's why you might have chosen apple anyway) you go around looking for problems (unlike the pee cee world, where the problems come for you )

i had "white spots",two faint ones on my dad's one-year old iBook G4 14". tried to live with it, and guess what, a week later after it started to get a bit annoying, the whole lcd screen died. so hopefully next week when i get it back from applecare they would have replaced the screen AND the logic board AND the reed swith AND THE ENTIRE LAPTOP with a 1.33ghz ibook

all the best peoples, does the color profile work with iBook? or powerbook only?

*sigh* my whole family loves the iBook, it's left us for a week now... like a beloved pet that has been missing for a while... luckily we know where it (the iBook) is... on a cold table somewhere with its innards split open, waiting for parts that would resurrect it to its former glory...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Just wanna let you know that I have the same problem with my new iBook. I actually can only notice it when the system boot up.

I was about to call amazon or apple if I didn't read your post. I think I can definitely live with that.

Thanks a lot!

Quote:

Glad that profile worked for you too!

As for the general quality of the display - I think, unfortunately, that that's how it is with the 12" PB. In my lunch hour yesterday I walked to every store in the centre of London that has Macs to see what their demo PBs looked like (What? Obsessive/Compulsive? Me?).

Sure enough, they all exibited this slightly uneven lighting thing at the bottom of the screen - even on a couple of Rev C 1.33 Ghz models that were still on show.

When I called the Apple Store the guy said (unsurprisingly) that they couldn't let me open every one of their PBs in stock until I found a display that I liked and that I'd just have to keep buying them and getting a refund until I found one I liked - I found that I wasn't that obsessive after all and gave up the chase.

So, I called Apple and cancelled my return. I guess I can live with it. I also made myself a 100% black desktop pic which makes the problem invisible to me. As I tinkered away on my new PB last night I felt a sense of relief and calm wash over me - I can relax and enjoy it now. Aaaaand breathe!

• Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

I toyed with the idea of still going ahead with the refund and spending another  on the 15" but I wanted the 12" for its portability and my wallet won't take any more battering. i guess I'll just have to live with it.

i have a 15" PB and its portability is good its about 6lbs or so.. but other then that...