Displays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So, I'm just curious, what is it about the 23" Cinema Display that has changed since Friday. I mean, there has to be something different if Apple can drop the price $1500!! Or maybe it's just that Apple's are so freak'n overpriced to begin with?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by OBJRA10:

<strong>So, I'm just curious, what is it about the 23" Cinema Display that has changed since Friday. I mean, there has to be something different if Apple can drop the price $1500!! Or maybe it's just that Apple's are so freak'n overpriced to begin with?</strong><hr></blockquote>

They want to sell them along with some nice PowerMacs. This all just creates an illusion of cheaper prices. People didnt buy Apple displays before, now they will and along with them the new PowerMacs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by OBJRA10:

<strong>So, I'm just curious, what is it about the 23" Cinema Display that has changed since Friday. I mean, there has to be something different if Apple can drop the price $1500!! Or maybe it's just that Apple's are so freak'n overpriced to begin with?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you got it... Apple's stuff is so overpriced.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Bingo. the 23" is definately overpriced. Now its price is so much reasonable.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>

They want to sell them along with some nice PowerMacs. This all just creates an illusion of cheaper prices. People didnt buy Apple displays before, now they will and along with them the new PowerMacs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you nailed it....I know I for one thought "hey the displays are cheaper! and the towers are cheaper! maybe I can get both!" now thinking about it...thats EXACTLY what apples wants...that way they may end up making slightly more profit(assuming everyone that would normally get 3rd party displays with expensive computers get apple dispalys now)

Apple is over-priced maybe, but after today, it has definatly gotten a lot better price/performance wise I think.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robust:

<strong>

I think you nailed it....I know I for one thought "hey the displays are cheaper! and the towers are cheaper! maybe I can get both!" now thinking about it...thats EXACTLY what apples wants...that way they may end up making slightly more profit(assuming everyone that would normally get 3rd party displays with expensive computers get apple dispalys now)

Apple is over-priced maybe, but after today, it has definatly gotten a lot better price/performance wise I think.</strong><hr></blockquote>

but at the same time, the price drops on both the towers and displays could be very appealing to people that are due for a serious desktop overhaul. i bought my QS Dual 1GHz in March '02, and i got a 22" ADC ACD. at that time, the educational price for the tower was okay, but the displays were $500 off. (it was a better deal than anywhere, at the time) i had an Apple Loan so i didn't hesitate to get it all.

trust me on this one tho, if you take care of your display, it will be a huge help for your productivity. and everyone that walks into the room will oooh and ahhh at how big and how thin the display is. rar.

i would've gotten the 23" back then, if it weren't so damn expensive! hehehe.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I'd wager that very little has changed and that the drop reflects economics more than anything, though increasing quantity of lcd production probably helps too.

read this up to at least the 5th (edit: I meant 6th) paragraph: the one about price-skimming.

<a href="http://essay.studyarea.com/old_essay/Economics/price_discrimination.htm"; target="_blank">http://essay.studyarea.com/old_essay/Economics/price_discrimination.htm</a>;

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>