Pop-up ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I am almost convinced that I may have found a secret to stopping the worst of ADs, be they pop up or banner, I just want to test it extensively now.

I need the worst, most notorious pop up and annoying banner sights: I NEED LINKS TO THE WORST PLACES ON THE NET!

I am not out to block all ADs, just pop ups and ads that steal my cursor, make noise, or talk in a creapy voice, also slide down video ads.

Google ADs are fine, most banners are fine, My goal here is not to block all advertising, that is too easy, if the masses did that who knows the result on internet financing, the majority of content on the net as AD supported, I support that, servers and bandwidth are not free, not to mention time. That said, I do not want to see pull downs and popups for crap like refinancing or freeipods.com!

Why am I doing this? because I am now getting pop up ads and friggen video ads that waist bandwidth in MOZILLA and now I am mad as hell.

All help is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    if u use firefox, there is an extension called 'adblock'. typically it is used to systematically turn off all advertising. But, it is very possible (and not difficult) to only seek out and turn off the video ads. The popups are a little different. Firefox, Mozilla, Safari, OmniWeb, and pretty much every other web browser (except IE) has a popup blocker of some kind. Safari's is kind of basic; I never tried OW's; Firefox & Mozilla I think have a good implementation: by default all pops are blocked, if a popup attempts to load, is blocked and u need it (like at a bank site or something), u can add the site to the allow list. then the popup will show up.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    You need 'sites', not 'sights'.

and IE does have a pop-up blocker since SP2. Only for XP SP2 users though. So, its a half-assed solution.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

if u use firefox, there is an extension called 'adblock'. typically it is used to systematically turn off all advertising. But, it is very possible (and not difficult) to only seek out and turn off the video ads. The popups are a little different. Firefox, Mozilla, Safari, OmniWeb, and pretty much every other web browser (except IE) has a popup blocker of some kind. Safari's is kind of basic; I never tried OW's; Firefox & Mozilla I think have a good implementation: by default all pops are blocked, if a popup attempts to load, is blocked and u need it (like at a bank site or something), u can add the site to the allow list. then the popup will show up.

AD Block has failed me, it usually onlu blocks that ad, not all pop ups from that domain, plus I would have to do it on all of the computers in the network, not just apply it once and be done.

In the past few weeks I have been getting moxilla pop ups in AI, Drudgereport, and about 10 other sites that I frequent, thus the adblock and the built in popup blocking is broke.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

You need 'sites', not 'sights'.

and IE does have a pop-up blocker since SP2. Only for XP SP2 users though. So, its a half-assed solution.

Ummm...till I get my mini in here, I am on windows, but I would not touch IE ever, if mozilla and opera vanished, I would judt give up the web untill I got my Mac.

IE, even with SP2 sucks. Activex is too powerfull for something as open as a browser.

yes, sites, not sights, - Do'h!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

AD Block has failed me, it usually onlu blocks that ad, not all pop ups from that domain, plus I would have to do it on all of the computers in the network, not just apply it once and be done.

In the past few weeks I have been getting moxilla pop ups in AI, Drudgereport, and about 10 other sites that I frequent, thus the adblock and the built in popup blocking is broke.

you'll have to learn how to use adblock more effectively. Remember you can use '*' as a wildcard. So, lets say u want to block everything from the www.shitheADS.com domain. Your adblock filter would look like this:

http://www.shitheADS.com/*

I tend to look for servers like "http://ads.assholes.com/blahblah/..."; and then block "http://ads.asshole.com/*". You have to look at what they are doing with their link. Sometimes the ad part follows the domain as in, "http://www.pricks.com/blah/ads/thisismyadvertisement.swf", for which you may prefer to block "http://www.pricks.com/blah/ads/*". Sometimes they don't use 'ads' as the word, sometimes they do 'banner', and sometimes its not obvious. You have to play around with the filters to make them work. Simply picking off individual ads wont be very effective with adblock.

Using adblock against popups is difficult. First, because its tough, from adblocks interface, to know where the popups are coming from. They might be in code on the primary page, inwhich case adblock won't be able to help you. But if they are not, you have to guess and check to see where they actually come from.

I'm kind of surprised about what you say about mozilla's popup blocking. i've not had a popup since i started using firefox (from my understanding, their popup blocking code is the same as mozilla's). Maybe the popups are in your allow-list? Or maybe the popup blocker is turned off? I can honestly say that I haven't seen a popup from AI in a long time; Firefox works against those for me.

But, if you want to push this out over all users, you're gonna have to do something with a proxy server or something. Like, intercept all traffic going to certain domains or certain URLs and redirect it to /dev/null or somesuch.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Ad block and firefox have been completely effective in keeping this new wave of pop-ups from appearing. Yesterday I used safari for the first time in a while and got a couple of these pop-ups that get through the safari pop-up blocker.

like thuh Freak said, you need to block everything from the domain
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I got a pop-up on AI with FireFox.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Maybe it's the firefox/well-packed adblock that's keeping them away here.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    i just got one on this site with Safari but it went just as fast as it came...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

you'll have to learn how to use adblock more effectively. Remember you can use '*' as a wildcard. So, lets say u want to block everything from the www.shitheADS.com domain. Your adblock filter would look like this:

http://www.shitheADS.com/*

True, but as I said, blocking at the router is better - it blocks all computers, all browsers, any app at all, from seeing the ADs, and once the advertisers cookies are deleted, and filters applied to the router, I have noticed a ~25% increase in page rendering speed.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Blocking from the router, like screwing around with a hosts file, means you lose a lot of flexibility by making it far more difficult to add a new filter (something I find I have to do about once a day) or turn them off temporarily. In my experience, what causes the pages to load slowly are the scripts. If you block the scripts, pages load instantaneously. Try it.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

firefox + Flash block + ad block = t3h aws0m3.

Someone here recommended I switch from SaFARTi to firefox and use those extensions and I haven't regretted it (though I do miss safari's spell check).

Way faster than safari on my system, and with no ads of flash or gif origin downloaded, it's even faster.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jesus i just clicked on appleinsider and my download window appearsand something called ContextAd.aspx is trying to download itself.

what the f*ck is goin' on?

see ya.