This is what i want , what do you guys think.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everyone, Iam planning on getting the Powerbook G4 laptop

These are the specs that i plan on getting, please advice me if this is ok or if i need to do any changes.

1- 15.2-inch TFT Display 1280x854 resolution 1.67GHz PowerPC G4

2- 1GB DDR333 SDRAM

3- 80GB Hard Drive ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (64 MB DDR) Backlit keyboard Gigabit Ethernet FireWire 400 & 800 Analog audio in/out DVI & S-Video out.

Instead of teh superdrive iam just going to get the combo drive since i am not a computer movie type person, so i dont think i will be burning any DVD's

I just need the computer for office work and surfing the net.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACTIME

These are the specs that i plan on getting, please advice me if this is ok or if i need to do any changes.

2- 1GB DDR333 SDRAM

3- 80GB Hard Drive ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (64 MB DDR) Backlit keyboard Gigabit Ethernet FireWire 400 & 800 Analog audio in/out DVI & S-Video out.

Instead of teh superdrive iam just going to get the combo drive since i am not a computer movie type person, so i dont think i will be burning any DVD's

Sounds perfect but DVD burning is useful for backups too.

Do you have enough to get me one too?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

2- 1GB DDR333 SDRAM

Office work and net, but you need 1 gig of memory? You might find the superdrive nice, however you are the best judge of what you need.

Why get the extra memory from Apple though? Buy it from Crucial.com and save yourself some money. JMHO.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Right! Apple charges $350...

You could get 3rd party RAM and the Superdrive with that...

Edited my sleepyMath?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Yeah i know that for just net and office work 1 gig of memory seems alot. but one thing i learnt from the years of using computers is to never go low and cheap with memory. Because you end up puting stuff on your computer with time then things start to realy get sloooooooooooooooooow. Thank you guys for the feedback. Yeah i do understand that the superdrive seems great but i dont think i will be burning DVDs in the near future.

Thank you...........if anyone has other feedback please feel free.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

one thing i learnt from the years of using computers is to never go low and cheap with memory.

Whoa. We aren't talking "cheap" memory. Even the best you can buy is less than what Apple charges.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Whoa. We aren't talking "cheap" memory. Even the best you can buy is less than what Apple charges.

But in my case the amount was not big. I just got a new PB and bumped the memory up to 1 gig from the standard 512 meg. Apple's price for the extra 512 meg was about $10 more than best buy.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Apple's price for the extra 512 meg was about $10 more than best buy.

Best buy? Ok nevermind.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I didnt mean the word cheap as in crappy what i meant is more RAM isnt a bad thing to have