iBook randomly shut off, any ideas?!?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just 10 minutes ago my ibook (800MHz G3, 640MB RAM, just for reference) just randomly shut off while I was talking to someone in Adium. It didn't do the normal shutdown or anything, the screen just immediately went black.

When I booted back up the date/time thing came up saying that my clock was set to a date before (if I remember correctly) March 24th, 2001 and that that may screw up programs (though when I checked the date, it was set correctly). iTunes then opened on it's own (was open when the computer shut down, but it isn't set to open automatically during login).

What's going on?!? This has never happened before on the ibook, but it HAS happened (and does happen) on my 4+ year old Dell. Quite often in fact. Was this just a random error somewhere that shouldn't happen again, or is there a failing piece of hardware somewhere in the computer? I have one of the iBook models with the logic board problems, but it's never caused it to shut down. When the logic board starts going bad it causes other problems, but never this (have already had the logic board replaced twice, always fun)

Any ideas? Should I be worrying?

Note: I'm running panther. The ibook was plugged directly into the wall. I didn't see any sort of sign of a power surge however (no lights flickering or anything of the sort). Also, I've checked the logs to see if it was a kernel panic (/library/logs/panic.log), and it was not. Terminal said 'no such file exists"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    It just froze up!

I took out the power cord to take the laptop into the bedroom and everything except the mouse froze. I had to hold the power button until it shut off because nothing would work.

WHAT'S GOING ON??!?!?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Hi there,

The date and time reset is usualy caused by the PRAM battery going flat but that would never cause the computer to shut down.

I would first check that the battery and AC adapter are all working well first, if that don't solve your problem then I would take it to an Apple store cause it will probably be the logic board, the logic board replacement programme is still running but not for too much longer. So if it is the logic board having problems and your quick you could still get it repaired for free.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by imac600mhz

Hi there,

The date and time reset is usualy caused by the PRAM battery going flat but that would never cause the computer to shut down.

I would first check that the battery and AC adapter are all working well first, if that don't solve your problem then I would take it to an Apple store cause it will probably be the logic board, the logic board replacement programme is still running but not for too much longer. So if it is the logic board having problems and your quick you could still get it repaired for free.

I've replaced the logic board twice already, so I know what symptoms arise when it starts to die, and this isn't it. Not to mention it was just replaced 3 months ago.

It's frozen up 3 or 4 times now since the crash. it's happened while using the battery and while using the AC adaptor.