Mac Mini and Settop box

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I rather want to get a mac mini for my tv... and i have an eyetv 200. but whats holding me back? simple.

the eyetv 200 quality is great... the pvr features are wonderful. but i've got one simple complaint. controlling exclusively from the remote control is impossible. i would love to use the mac mini as a settop box that was so simple, my parents could use it.

so whats the solution? hope for elgato to open up the device.. perhaps an open api that mythtv developers can use? perhaps pressure elgato to create a more settop box version of their software? reverse engineer the eyetv box?

or is there another better solution altogether?

*j*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by joshbuddy

I rather want to get a mac mini for my tv... and i have an eyetv 200. but whats holding me back? simple.

the eyetv 200 quality is great... the pvr features are wonderful. but i've got one simple complaint. controlling exclusively from the remote control is impossible. i would love to use the mac mini as a settop box that was so simple, my parents could use it.

so whats the solution? hope for elgato to open up the device.. perhaps an open api that mythtv developers can use? perhaps pressure elgato to create a more settop box version of their software? reverse engineer the eyetv box?

or is there another better solution altogether?

*j*

I don't know if there is a better solution, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released (perhaps based on the mini or at least it's form factor) a set-top box. Steve refers to this as the "year of HD"... he's going to need a box that goes in the living room.

All my tunes right with my stereo, a DVD player/burner, a DVR... basically the digital hub right there. You make your content on your mac and play on this set top.... and I think it's about time. Maybe at WWDC, but definetly before the holiday shopping season.