Re Pricing of entire line of Macs...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Given Apple is getting more revenue from iPod to help cover some of its fixed costs I think they should get a littlw more aggressive on pricing and features.



This is what I propose.



Current Mac Mini's at

$500

$600



New iMac G4: well a return of the iMac G4. It looks just like the current iMac G5's but has a G4 and a 15 inch wide screen LCD like the Powerbooks. Of course in general its a bit smaller. This would give Apple the splash of finally an all LCD line up. It would continue the populatrity of the current iMac form factor. Simplyfy the line up by getting ride of eMac. I also hear the eMac is a bit privcey to manufacture. I bet the iMac G5 is relatively simple to manufacture.

$800 (1.3 Ghz G4 Combo Drive etc...)

$1000 (1.5 Ghz G4 Superdrive etc...)



Then the iMac G5 but updated to a slightly faster processor and a little better graphics card.

$1300 (1.8 Ghz G5 Combo Drive 17 inch Screen)

$1600 (2.0 Ghz G5 Superdrive 20 inch Screen)



Then the Powermacs. I am not an expert here, so What ever one things is good for...

$1600 (Double 2.0 Ghz G5)

$1800 (Double 2.5 Ghz G5)

$2000 (Double 3.0 Ghz G5)



Then for Laptops...

The current iBooks just need a little sleed boost

$900 (1.3 Ghz G4 Combo Drive 12 inch Screen)

$1100 (1.5 Ghz G4 Superdrive 14 inch Screen)



The Current Powerbooks are good except I would change the 12 inch to a wide screen 13 inch model.

$1400 (1.5 Ghz G4 Combo Drive 13 inch WideScreen)

$1600 (1.5 Ghz G4 SuperDrive 13 inch WideScreen)

$1800 (1.5 Ghz G4 Combo Drive 15 inch WideScreen)

$2000 (1.6 Ghz G4 SuperDrive 15 inch WideScreen)

$2300 (1.6 Ghz G4 SuperDrive 17 inch WideScreen)







Just my thoughts....

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by salmonstk

    New iMac G4: well a return of the iMac G4. It looks just like the current iMac G5's but has a G4 and a 15 inch wide screen LCD like the Powerbooks. Of course in general its a bit smaller. This would give Apple the splash of finally an all LCD line up. It would continue the populatrity of the current iMac form factor. Simplyfy the line up by getting ride of eMac. I also hear the eMac is a bit privcey to manufacture. I bet the iMac G5 is relatively simple to manufacture.

    $800 (1.3 Ghz G4 Combo Drive etc...)

    $1000 (1.5 Ghz G4 Superdrive etc...)




    no more G4 iMac or 15" iMac, ever. those would be to expensive aditions to this already perfect product. maybe a price reductions and a more expensive GPU to please the whinners.

    and maybe an eMac G5, because it could be $100-200 cheaper than the iMacG5.
    Quote:

    Then the Powermacs. I am not an expert here, so What ever one things is good for...

    $1600 (Double 2.0 Ghz G5)

    $1800 (Double 2.5 Ghz G5)

    $2000 (Double 3.0 Ghz G5)




    don't expect such a price reduction, maybe an 2.0/2.3/2.8 upgrade and $100-200 dollar less than current... and a GPU update offcourse.
    Quote:

    Then for Laptops...

    The current iBooks just need a little sleed boost

    $900 (1.3 Ghz G4 Combo Drive 12 inch Screen)

    $1100 (1.5 Ghz G4 Superdrive 14 inch Screen)




    maybe a total product refreshment with a new case.

    albeit it's good as it is, it's the oldest productdesign in the current productline; almost 4 years old.



    Quote:

    The Current Powerbooks are good except I would change the 12 inch to a wide screen 13 inch model.

    $1400 (1.5 Ghz G4 Combo Drive 13 inch WideScreen)

    $1600 (1.5 Ghz G4 SuperDrive 13 inch WideScreen)

    $1800 (1.5 Ghz G4 Combo Drive 15 inch WideScreen)

    $2000 (1.6 Ghz G4 SuperDrive 15 inch WideScreen)

    $2300 (1.6 Ghz G4 SuperDrive 17 inch WideScreen))




    G5, no price reduction.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I made a scale mack up of what a 15 inch G4 iMac would look like next to the current ones.

  • Reply 3 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by salmonstk

    [B]I made a scale mack up of what a 15 inch G4 iMac would look like next to the current ones.



    The new iMacs use the G5, not the G4.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Apple is not going back to G4s on their iMac line. Period. End of story. The scaled down version doesn't account for the size of the chin that would need to be bigger because the chin houses the power supply for the iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I'd like to see iMac price reductions, maybe in the order of $200. This would bring the bottom end iMac to about $1500...call it 1499. This is a more comfortable price for consumers, IMO. When I am at the Apple store, I often hear shopper commenting on the price tag of the Macs.



    If a new model is to be introduced, I'd like to see a 23" with ~2000 price.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    The new iMacs use the G5, not the G4.



    Some people don't read do you?



    I mentioned above I think they should replace the eMac with a G4 iMac.



    Not all the iMacs go G5!



    Also the size would be no problem at all. There is currently a G4 in a 15 inch slab less that an inch thick called the Powerbook. Even with a Powersupply the white panel below on the machine above plus the fact it would be around 1.5-1.8 inhces thick would mean no problem with heat and space issues.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by salmonstk

    Some people don't read do you?



    I mentioned above I think they should replace the eMac with a G4 iMac.



    Not all the iMacs go G5!



    Also the size would be no problem at all. There is currently a G4 in a 15 inch slab less that an inch thick called the Powerbook. Even with a Powersupply the white panel below on the machine above plus the fact it would be around 1.5-1.8 inhces thick would mean no problem with heat and space issues.




    a 15" G4 iMac isn't very useful and would cause customer confusion. Get a MAc mini and a 15" LCD. Much more logical. and the price is right.



    The imacs are priced pretty well, but a $100 price drop wouldn't hurt. The emac is really not very useful right now and I can't wait to see what apple does with it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    What Apple plans to do with the EMac is a but of a mystery.

    In the line-up of other products it looks out-of-place - a big bulky CRT throwback.



    But the thing is for actual edcation customers, the bulkiness is seen as a *good thing*.



    Apparently a very significant problem in educational establishments is theft. People wander out of the building with computers concealed neatly into backpacks. Say what you like about the eMac - but pocketable is not a word you would use.



    A 17" iMac or smaller will nicely fit into a backpack or sportsbag. Its main design feature (which makes the machine so cool) also makes it wholey unsuitable for educational use.



    Apple are limited in terms of options for an eMac replacement.



    1) Retain the CRT format. Retain the bulk, size and weight. But up the CPU



    2) Use an LCD - but artificially add bulk. For instance weld a load of lead weights to the back. Can't see Ives appearing in the video for that one.



    3) Produce a slim machine but with some innovative anti-theft feature. For instance a lock-down plate built into the base?



    Carni.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Carniphage

    What Apple plans to do with the EMac is a but of a mystery.

    In the line-up of other products it looks out-of-place - a big bulky CRT throwback.



    But the thing is for actual edcation customers, the bulkiness is seen as a *good thing*.



    Apparently a very significant problem in educational establishments is theft. People wander out of the building with computers concealed neatly into backpacks. Say what you like about the eMac - but pocketable is not a word you would use.



    A 17" iMac or smaller will nicely fit into a backpack or sportsbag. Its main design feature (which makes the machine so cool) also makes it wholey unsuitable for educational use.



    Apple are limited in terms of options for an eMac replacement.



    1) Retain the CRT format. Retain the bulk, size and weight. But up the CPU



    2) Use an LCD - but artificially add bulk. For instance weld a load of lead weights to the back. Can't see Ives appearing in the video for that one.



    3) Produce a slim machine but with some innovative anti-theft feature. For instance a lock-down plate built into the base?



    Carni.




    I'm sorry but that argument is complete and utter bullshit. Millions of LCDs are used in schools nationwide everyday. Smaller computers are used everywhere. The bulk of an eMac means nothing. Every piece of electronics in schools is locked down. This makes no design easier than another to steal. There are custom lock designs for all mac models...even LCD screens and now Mac minis. There are cable locks so that cables can't be stolen.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I wish i could get a G5 in the imac G4 clothing.. i really liked that half egg with supernice lcd screen.

    But now they're totally unavailable.. the stores say "nope, we can't sell you"
  • Reply 11 of 14
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by applenut

    I'm sorry but that argument is complete and utter bullshit. Millions of LCDs are used in schools nationwide everyday. Smaller computers are used everywhere. The bulk of an eMac means nothing. Every piece of electronics in schools is locked down. This makes no design easier than another to steal. There are custom lock designs for all mac models...even LCD screens and now Mac minis. There are cable locks so that cables can't be stolen. [/

    QUOTE]



    Thanks for your charming assesment. Its an argument I have heard many times. But I don't work in education. .. I agree that if your main selling point is bulk - it's not a good one.



    .. So you are saying the eMac is worthless and should be dropped from the product range?



    Carni.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    The new iMacs use the G5, not the G4.



    Does anybody actually read all the posts before writing their own post?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Carniphage

    Quote:

    Originally posted by applenut



    .. So you are saying the eMac is worthless and should be dropped from the product range?



    Carni.



    no, for schools its almost as cheap as the mac mini and it comes with a monitor. i kid you not. the eMac in educational bulk quantities is $599



    Unfortunately it locks you in with the bulky screen and is a very large unit. Personally, I think Apple would have had more success selling an updated 15 inch iMac G4 for even cheaper. Design goes a long way and the original iMac's design is far superior to the eMacs just in appeal.



    As it is, the eMac offers an affordable mac with a monitor bundled. It certainly has a role and as long as it sells over 100,000 a quarter or whatever it is at now it is certainly a viable product.



    Right now, for the education market i think iBooks for 800 bucks a pop and Mac minis for upgrading existing PC installations are where its at. Apple has yet to really go all out pushing the Mac Mini. It almost seems as if they released just to satisfy complainers and analysts and kind of don't like to admit its there. Even in their retail stores it almost seems neglected. It's kind of weird and I don't really understand it. I have a feeling the margins are incredibly small on it and they would rather sell eMacs.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    In case ya'll haven't noticed, Apple has been racking up education sales in notebooks. I thiniik the emac is past its prime. School aren't buying up computer labs anymore.



    I have been in many schools utilizing LCD's and towere, no one is buying the emac because it is big an heavy. The onlt reason to get it is because it was the lowest cost of entry for a mac. I think the mac mini may cause a mini boost in Apple education sales, but the vast majority of sales will still come from notebooks as more and more schools move to "class on the go."
Sign In or Register to comment.