Price policy question about new Apple displays...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I poked around the other threads that seemed to talk about Apple's new displays and didn't see it discussed (sorry if I started a new thread for something that already exists, buried in another thread):

Does Apple offer any sort of price protection or anything to help soften the blow of buying a product that, in one fell swoop, drops $1500 in price?

Somewhere in the world, you KNOW somebody probably purchased one of those 23" displays over this past weekend (perhaps even as late as Monday). Then they get the shock of having to wake up Tuesday and see where it had dropped to a nice, cozy $1999.

I know that this is all "part of the game" when it comes to computer and digi/tech devices, but it's RARELY such a huge, drastic thing too. I mean, if you look at Apple, usually - after 6-12 (sometimes longer...ahem) months, you'll get an expected 50-100MHz speed bump, a hard drive increase, maybe a bus speed tweak, a update to the speed of the optical drive for that device (faster burn speed, for example). But it's little nudges and tweaks.

And IF there's a price drop, it's fairly modest. That recent $200-across-the-board price cuts on the iBook were very nice and quite hefty for a product in that price range...even getting one of the models to that magical sub-$1000 price.

But going from $3499 (I think that's what it was, right?) down to $1999 just like THAT [insert finger snap sound]...ouch.

I'm not complaining, mind you. Just feeling kinda sorry for the poor bastard who strolled out of the Soho or Tampa Apple Store Sunday afternoon with a 23" Apple Display, saying to himself "well, I waited and did the research...this is a great monitor, I've saved for it and I don't see it dropping in price anytime soon...".

OUCH!!!

Does he have ANYTHING to soften the blow? Maybe even just a "Sorry...better luck next time?" sympathy card, signed by Jobs and with a coupon for a free copy of iLife?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    at worst, he could return it with a 10% restocking fee, get a refund and buy it again.

then at most he'd be out $350.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yes, that's the return policy... if it's open box, it's no charge. 10% if he set it up.

Still, $350 is better than $1500, isn't it?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I just have a feeling that there was a lot of activity (and phone calls and e-mails) on that particular front yesterday.

And I can't say that I'd blame anyone for doing so. $1500 is $1500!

I'd gladly take a $350 hit, considering the alternative.

I need to get to the Apple Store soon. I've yet to see the new PowerBooks in person, and I'd like to see this new 20" display as well.

Maybe this weekend...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I feel really bad for the folks who bought them in the last month or so. No chance to return them, can't sell them... that has to really hurt. I can't imagine losing $1500 in such a short time!!

Only option left is insurance fraud I guess. heh heh

Some of these computer insurance guys should be keeping tabs on the boards...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Of course if you could afford the 23" screen before the price reduction, 1500 is probably a drop in the bucket. And anyway you really did not loose 1500. If you thought this way about computers, every time you bought one you it would be a waste since a new, better, cheeper one would be coming out soon.

You probably could sell the display above the current retail price on ebay. Old Airport base stations are still listed above 200 dollars with people bidding on them!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Not neccesarily: suppose someone really worked and saved for it (took on extra freelance work or whatever). I don't know anyone who considers $1500 just a "drop in the bucket". Even if you're filthy rich, who likes to just piss away money?

Put it this way: wouldn't it annoy you a little to lose $5 that you KNOW you just had somewhere a while ago?

Losing $5-10 certainly isn't going to put me under or do me in, but it still bugs the hell out of me.

I suppose a wealthy person thinks the same about $1500.

Who couldn't $1500 to cool, good use...rich, poor or otherwise?

As far as the other thing you mentioned, I said in my thread that that thing is to be expected (I've been doing this for 10 years too), but it's never such a huge, sweeping drop.

I bought my tangering iMac DV in February of 2000 and sold it two years later in March 2002. I knew it would get NOTHING close to the $1299 I paid for it, but also - in those two years - I got TONS of use from it and it more than served its purpose.

Just like when I go to sell this current LCD iMac: I won't get anywhere near $1799 for it. I know, and accept, that.

BUT I also didn't expect to buy it and then check Apple's site the next day and see them suddenly selling it for $1099 a day after I paid $1799 for it.

THAT'S what'll kill ya!

• Reply 7 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    pscates, like most other good retail joints, Apple has a price guarantee policy:

<a href="http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salesrefund.html#Apple Prices&quot; target="_blank">http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salesrefund.html#Apple Prices&lt;/a&gt;

If the price drops within 10 days, you get the difference back. Of course if you buy from a place like Fry's, you get a period of 30 days to work with instead of 10.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]I suppose a wealthy person thinks the same about $1500?<hr></blockquote>No. Someone who is wealthy can drop $1500 on a bottle of wine, or is not so extravagent a whole dinner, and if truly thrifty perhaps a jacket or sweater. I've known people who go shopping in Paris for the weekend and fill up cargo containers. You truly cannot wrap your head around that much $$$.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I disagree regarding wealthy people and their thoughts of $1500.

The person you describe would be what was once called nouveau riche. Most of these people grow rich in their lifetimes, then lose it by spending it stupidly.

People who remain wealthy and pass along real wealth to their offspring generally count every dime. They do NOT buy new cars for hundreds of thousands of dollars. They do not spend extravagantly.

In the real world, those who blow $30,000 for flowers end up exactly like Elton John - broke, bankrupt, having to perform just to keep the lifestyle.

There is a psychosocial definition: the wealth-gatherers and the wealth-spenders. People who are the gatherers always tend to keep money. They don't pay interest. They don't use credit cards, etc.

The spenders tend to always be spending more than they earn. ALWAYS.

This is why something like Liberal redistribution of wealth fails - in very short order the wealth-spenders have spent the money and put it back in the hands of the wealth-gatherers.

Prime example: lottery winners who go from $20 million to bankrupt in 5 years.

J
  • Reply 10 of 11
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    This is turning into an actually entertaining thread. Mods, don't lock it, if anything move to AO.

The above poster makes a great point. Those truly wealthy value money before things, not the other way around, or they won't be wealthy for much longer. (Parasitic wealthies may be an exception.)

I wish I could win the lottery, I would limit myself to 6 months of being a nouveau riche. Then I would stop. Cold turkey. I know I could do it.. just let me try, please.. ohpleaseohpleaseohplease I want to try.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Yep, I agree. Filthy rich or not, $1500 is still money. Might not seem like A LOT to some people, but - unless they're just flaming idiots on wheels - they're still not going to just like the idea of flinging it around carelessly.

You certainly don't - or won't - stay rich for long that way.

I don't know any rich people using actual bills of cash to light their cigars and pipes, like you see in old comics or cartoons.

If a regular joe type of person wins $80 million in the lottery, the temptation to buy a jet ski in every color (and a different truck to haul them on) would be overwhelming, I'm sure. THAT'S why those idiots end up broke in a matter of years: never had it, don't know how to handle it, and piss it away on silly crap.

Rich people, the truly rich (old money, if you will) tend to be smarter and aren't likely to be that casual and flippant about it.

That's why they're still rich.

$1500 is a "drop in the bucket" only to idiots and those destined for bankruptcy.

And Eugene, that's good to know. Whew! I don't feel so bad now!