Speech Recognition

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm running Panther. I've got Speech Recognition turned off in the Systems Preferences, but when I view the Acitivity Monitor, the Speech Recognition task is using around 10%.

Why is this so? I have got a pretty slow machine (266M G3 iMac), but I would have thought Speech Recogniton shouldn't have been running at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by ralph23

I'm running Panther. I've got Speech Recognition turned off in the Systems Preferences, but when I view the Acitivity Monitor, the Speech Recognition task is using around 10%.

Why is this so? I have got a pretty slow machine (266M G3 iMac), but I would have thought Speech Recogniton shouldn't have been running at all.

I just looked at my Activity Monitor, and Speech Recognition was not running.

I opened preferences, turned Speech Recognition ON and then OFF, and looked at the Activity Monitor, and the process was running.

It did not go away until I closed the System Preferences.

(I don't know what that has to do with your system, but that's what 10.3.8 did for me.)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by ralph23

The speech recognition algorithms used by Apple are rather old and crappy, and therefore do not involve huge computations to work...