consumer Apple displays speculation

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I looked around and didn't see a similar thread so...

With the seeming success of the Mac Mini introduction, I wonder how long it will be before we see smaller, white framed displays from Apple. It would make a natural fit with the mini, and split the display into pro and consumer lines as well.

A question because my knowledge is weak in this realm. I know Apple LCD are of a higher quality, but what are the differences between the Apple LCDs and the current cheapies I see in stores? And could Apple sacrifice some quality to put out a consumer display?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    From what I understand, the panel inside the 20" cinema is the same inside Dell's 20" widescreen. Furthermore, Dell's is brighter and has loads of inputs. It is listed at $750, but with coupons you can get for about $550.

Yes, Apple's displays are high quality, but there are some of equal quality out there, albeit less attractive in most circumstances.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    The market for customer LCDs is one where prices are continually slipping. Apple has never been good at holding it's own in such markets.

Therefore, I don't see them entering it now or in the near future. Apple will produce displays until the prices on the high-end start to fall and then pull out alltogether - like they did with printer and digical cameras.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

From what I understand, the panel inside the 20" cinema is the same inside Dell's 20" widescreen. Furthermore, Dell's is brighter and has loads of inputs. It is listed at $750, but with coupons you can get for about $550.

Yes, Apple's displays are high quality, but there are some of equal quality out there, albeit less attractive in most circumstances.

Not true. The DELL UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1" flat panel monitor 1600 x 1200 pixels has an aspect ratio of 4:3. The Apple 20" Cinema Display at 1680 x 1050 pixels has an aspect ratio of 16:10.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Not true. The DELL UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1" flat panel monitor 1600 x 1200 pixels has an aspect ratio of 4:3. The Apple 20" Cinema Display at 1680 x 1050 pixels has an aspect ratio of 16:10.

Except that's not the one the poster was talking about. It is the Dell 2005FPW.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ackzot

Except that's not the one the poster was talking about. It is the Dell 2005FPW.

Thanks for pointing this out. I cannot speak to the quality of this monitor, but I can speak to Dell's 17" 4:3 LCD monitors, having recently taken delivery of several of them. Compared to Apple LCD monitors, Dell's are noticably blurry. They may be acceptable to Windows users. However, Macintosh operating systems can be somewhat unpleasant when used with low-quality monitors.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    LCD monitors *can't* be blurry. Windows can resize a smaller unsupported resolution to a supported one, which is what I believe you're talking about. An old client did this all the time and it drove me nuts.

Really, the only factors to judge by are brightness and at what angle colors distort.