Flaash MX will not export fonts

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Some of my fonts will not export or preview in flash mx. I have never had this problem before, but before I wasn't using suitcase or font doctor. Could suitcase be causing me problems with exporting fonts? I have all my fonts enabled in suitcase and enabled them before I opened flash. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing some of my fonts to not export? Oh and I can see them on stage just fine.

Please Help!!!

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by alty127

Some of my fonts will not export or preview in flash mx. I have never had this problem before, but before I wasn't using suitcase or font doctor. Could suitcase be causing me problems with exporting fonts? I have all my fonts enabled in suitcase and enabled them before I opened flash. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing some of my fonts to not export? Oh and I can see them on stage just fine.

Please Help!!!

Matt

you might do a search on version tracker for "font cache cleaner." any time i have some font goofiness, it seems to clear it up. you might also try swapping out the font(s) in question with another to see if said font might be the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I still can't figure out the problem. I just ran font doctor again for corrupt fonts and flash still wont export this one font! I even decided to shut down suitcase and install the font into OS font book ran flash again and it still will not export the font even if its an installed font in font book. What is going on here I just don't get it. Has anyone ever had any problems with exporting fonts?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    From the Flash MX Help file: (bold by me)

Quote:

About embedded fonts and device fonts

When you use a font installed on your system in a Flash movie, Flash embeds the font information in the Flash SWF file, ensuring that the font is displayed properly in the Flash Player. Not all fonts displayed in Flash can be exported with a movie. To verify that a font can be exported, use the View > Antialias Text command to preview the text; jagged type indicates that Flash does not recognize that font's outline and will not export the text.

You can use special fonts in Flash called device fonts as an alternative to embedding font information (for horizontal text only). Device fonts are not embedded in the Flash SWF file. Instead, the Flash Player uses whatever font on the local computer most closely resembles the device font. Because device font information is not embedded, using device fonts yields a somewhat smaller Flash movie file size. In addition, device fonts can be sharper and more legible than embedded fonts at small point sizes (below 10 points). However, because device fonts are not embedded, if users do not have a font installed on their system that corresponds to the device font, text may look different than expected on a user's system.

Flash includes three device fonts, named _sans (similar to Helvetica or Arial), _serif (similar to Times Roman), and _typewriter (similar to Courier). To specify a font as a device font, you select one of the Flash device fonts in the Property inspector. During movie playback, Flash selects the first device font that is located on the user's system. You can specify text set in a device font to be selectable, so that users can copy and paste text that appears in your movie. See Using device fonts (horizontal text only).

You can use device fonts for static text (text that you create when authoring a movie and that does not change when the movie is displayed) or dynamic text (text that updates periodically through input from a file server, such as sports scores or weather data). For more information on dynamic text, see Setting dynamic and input text options.

• Reply 4 of 6
    yeah I read about that too, but the font displays just fine. It looks great on the stage real crisp and clean!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Im using flash MX, I don't think its 2004 just mx, if that make a diff. on OS X3.8. I look for some updates and didn't find anything for just mx but I did find something for MX 2004 though when i went to install it, it said that MX 2004 wasn't found.

• Reply 6 of 6
    I just thought that I would let everyone know that I believe I know what the problems is! I think it?s my version of flash MX. I just sent my font to a friend with MX 2004 who also uses suitcase and the font worked fine for him! I'll give this font a shot on some other computers that I work that are using just MX with suitcase and see if I get the same problem. Needless to say I believe I need to go get flash MX 2004.

Thanks for the help,

Matt