Could Steve Jobs be a CEO candidate for HP?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Now that HP are looking for a replacement for its outgoing CEO Carly Fiorina, could they be considering Steve Jobs?

Any such possible move would have to include a merger/acquisition of Apple Computer (as a wholly owned subsidiary of HP of course). Apple would essentially be HP's iPod and iTunes division.

Apparently HP has been struggling with its brand image - trying to be all things to everybody: trying to appeal to consumers and businesses alike.

Apple could be the consumer brand, while HP can settle on being the business brand.

Think on it:

Apple designed HP PCs,

HP brick and mortar stores akin to the Apple Stores,

Mac OS X Server on HP Servers (Itanium, Alpha),

and most of all Steve Jobs' product and marketing consolidation of the HP (and Compaq) products and services.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rara Posts: 623member
    No.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    What he said /\\

[]
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Steve Jobs wouldn't do well in a conventional company.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    My money is on Michael Cappellas [sp?]. Now that MCI is going to be "merged" with Verizon, I suspect that he will go back to the his old stomping ground.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    First off, Steve Jobs would do fine at HP, which is no more conventional than Apple. Second off, he's not a realistic candidate for the job, because I doubt he's interested in leaving Apple right now.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slyinthedam

My money is on Michael Cappellas [sp?]. Now that MCI is going to be "merged" with Verizon, I suspect that he will go back to the his old stomping ground.

Oh, please...another CEO who runs computer companies to the ground?

AFAIK, Cappellas failed with Compaq and as history has shown recently, so did Fiorina with HP. Why in the world should HP get another failure for a CEO?

Jobs would be the better choice but I highly doubt he would want to take on a bloated company like HP.

HP needs to get a CEO with a PROVEN TRACK RECORD of getting a company on it's heels again not a LAME DUCK CEO who's been bouncing around from co. to co.

Of course, this is all my two cents worth...

• Reply 7 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    HP, according to my sources, still makes the best servers aside from IBM (who over-design like hell).

Maybe they'll get someone from cisco.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER

• Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

First off, Steve Jobs would do fine at HP, which is no more conventional than Apple. Second off, he's not a realistic candidate for the job, because I doubt he's interested in leaving Apple right now.

Actually perhaps I didn't make it clear.

What I suggested was a merger/acquisition of Apple by HP but with making Steve Jobs the CEO of HP (and hence the wholly owned subsidiary Apple).

Just a repeat of the NeXT <-> Apple reverse takeover
  • Reply 10 of 11
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Steve would never survive as CEO of HP. He is used to having his way and he wouldn't get that there.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    what the second guy said.