Newb: buy now or later-powerbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi,

the laptop i gave my wife is getting old and slow. i was thinking about going for a powerbook... so that it would alleviate some pc headaches including the routine maintenace and problems that are encountered and needed. the only quandary i have is should i get it now or later? i know the new tiger os is coming out soon and am unsure what to do. i'm new to mac os and i don't want to pay another 120$us or whatever it may be only a few weeks after getting the new laptop. is there any reason to wait... or should i buy it now. i wish apple gave some incentives like a discount coupon or something. also, would the powerbooks be updated with the new tiger os right away or would the old os still linger for a while? sorry for the ramble... any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giddyup69

hi,

the laptop i gave my wife is getting old and slow. i was thinking about going for a powerbook... so that it would alleviate some pc headaches including the routine maintenace and problems that are encountered and needed. the only quandary i have is should i get it now or later? i know the new tiger os is coming out soon and am unsure what to do. i'm new to mac os and i don't want to pay another 120$us or whatever it may be only a few weeks after getting the new laptop. is there any reason to wait... or should i buy it now. i wish apple gave some incentives like a discount coupon or something. also, would the powerbooks be updated with the new tiger os right away or would the old os still linger for a while? sorry for the ramble... any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Buy now. the PB is at the top of its game (the last revision of a model is generally the best). It will not be outdated when tiger comes along. apple is reportedly working on a new revision of Panther, 10.3.9 (10.3.8 came out a few weeks ago), so god only knows when tiger's coming out. Panther will be compatible with post-Tiger software until well after your PB dies. but a good rule with fantastic new OSs. update only if and when you need to. that way you save unnecessary hassles.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Buy now. the PB is at the top of its game (the last revision of a model is generally the best). It will not be outdated when tiger comes along. apple is reportedly working on a new revision of Panther, 10.3.9 (10.3.8 came out a few weeks ago), so god only knows when tiger's coming out. Panther will be compatible with post-Tiger software until well after your PB dies. but a good rule with fantastic new OSs. update only if and when you need to. that way you save unnecessary hassles.

--B

thanks for the reply. i read some reviews on the powerbook and some have commented on the powerbook being a little sluggish. i beleive it was an anandtech review that said the new tiger os utilizes the video card a lot more... making the os run a lot faster... basically more efficient. does anyone know anything about this? if this is true i'd rather wait it out. but like u said... i have no clue when the new os is coming out. i was planning on getting the 12" with superdrive. is this model any good? or should i shell out a few more bucks and get the 15". we currently have a toshiba portege... and love it because of it's size and portability. but like i said... it's getting pretty slow for our needs.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    powerebooks were just updated. buy now if you need it. you can play the waiting game forever, but sometime you need to realize that you'll always be waiting for something.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Call your nearest apple store (assuming reasonable distance) and ask if they have the old model PBs, they are only ~200 mhz differance and ram is cheap. I was at the Keystone Indianapolis store and they were chopping prices that they were offering to customers, like $300 off of the new modle sticker. plus any other discounts you may qualify for - I coulda got a 12 inch powerbook for like $1000, exept I only have enough funds for a mini.

enjoy your Mac

Woot Woot
  • Reply 5 of 10
    buy now!

i got my 12" superdrive 2 weeks ago and it's great! the longer you wait now, the longer you'll end up waiting, if you see what i mean.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Go for the Powerbook. This was a great update, for it gave the Powerbooks 5400PM drives, versus the old 4200 RPM standard. That makes a big difference.

My 12" Powerbook is flying.. I love it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bluetooth and airport extreme (802.11g) standard in all powerbooks for some time now

512mb ram standard in all powerbooks
  • Reply 8 of 10
    thanks for all the help. i think i might buy one before the end of the month. i have a buddy who's a teacher... so i can get a bit of a discount. i'm also in canada (toronto), so no apple stores here. thanks again for all your help.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by giddyup69

thanks for all the help. i think i might buy one before the end of the month. i have a buddy who's a teacher... so i can get a bit of a discount. i'm also in canada (toronto), so no apple stores here. thanks again for all your help.

cram and jam promo is also back, this is showing up in australia because university (college) has just started in Australia

http://www.apple.com.au/education/cramandjam/

check and see if you have somethin like that going on..!

and remember, it may apply even if you are not a Student..!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    yes look into buying now. Waiting game is always going to leave you waiting.