Suggestions for Cable modem for PM 8600?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can anybody recommend a cable modem for a powermac 8600 (and also a good place to buy them)?

I plan on updating to a newer powermac someday so I would like a cable modem to work with both my 8600 and new powermac.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    The brand of cable modem really doesn't matter for the machines connected to it. It is important to verify that the modem you buy is compatible with the service provider you use. The 8600 has built in 10bt ethernet, so get any cable modem you want so long as it supported by your provider.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Honestly your cable modem will probably never touch your Macs.

Cable Wall Jack --> Cable Modem --> Switch --> Macs

Call your ISP and see what they recommend, that's going to decide what you can buy, not your Macs.

• Reply 3 of 6
    I've got a 3Com Sharkfin cable modem I can sell you. $50 if you want it. It's pretty much brand new, was used for a couple of months. If you're interested, let me know.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>I've got a 3Com Sharkfin cable modem I can sell you. $50 if you want it. It's pretty much brand new, was used for a couple of months. If you're interested, let me know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

M3D Jack,

I've found a good deal on a new one at a local Fry's store. Thanks for the offer.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've found good deals on linksys modems and they have an 10/100 port. (not that it matters much, the max bandwidth of cable is 27Mb)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ebby:

<strong>I've found good deals on linksys modems and they have an 10/100 port. (not that it matters much, the max bandwidth of cable is 27Mb)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I picked up a brand new Motorola SB4200 for $49.00. Not too bad considering that it goes for $99.00.