MacMinute Headline

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    IF this is indeed all they have, then this macworld is going to do nothing but hurt Apple. 1800 for an iMac ?!?!! No f-ing way anybody in their right mind pays that much (LCD or not). Not for sub Ghz G3's at any rate. 1Ghz G4??? They had better bring at least duals across the powermac line if that's all they got for it.

dual 866, dual 1Ghz, dual 1.13 at the current price points (all with super drive) would be the minimum acceptable Pro line-up at this point.

iWalk (even if it's real) can't save them from this kinda disaster if they don't do something more substantial for the prices they charge.

Flat panel iMacs have to come in the 999-1299 range, not more. They can have more expensive models too, but CRT iMac shouldn't cost more than 599 in today's market.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by mcsoko:

<strong>Why do we need G4 iMacs... just buy a Pro model!!!!!! hello!!!!!! consumers need low cost, a 800Mhz - 1GHz G3 would be just fine for a consumer. I think that it will be flat pannel iMacs w/ G3 up to 1Ghz, G4 up to 1.2 to 1.4 w/DDR ram. And hopfully this new iWalk thing!!!! That would rock!</strong><hr></blockquote>

iMacs need G4 so AltiVec coding becomes more common.

G3s arent ready in GHz speeds yet (people have said.)

The low end (read: low cost) iMac could still have a G3, but for the majority of the models they SHOULD have a G4. Almost nobody other then Apple and Adobe is coding their apps for AltiVec. This is a big problem, and needs to be addressed.

-Paul
  • Reply 23 of 80
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Lets just hope the Powermac doesn't top out at 1 GHz or it will be MWNY all over again but worse with Apple adding fuel to the fire this time around...
  • Reply 24 of 80
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I don't know about any of you but the information from Macminute means to me that this is going to be a normal Macworld expo. And, Apple has made a mistake by overhyping it.

I've been expecting G5 powermacs based on Apple's hype and signs from other sources.

- Mark
  • Reply 25 of 80
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by Majuki:

<strong>Top end 1GHz G4! Yes! This is great! :/

PowerMac G4 at 1GHz

Tagline: "1GHz down, one to go"

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or should I say

[quote]<strong>

So who is inclined to believe MacUser and MacNN?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you mean MacMinute? I am. Remember last MWNY when everyone was sure that Ghz G4s were finally on the way. About a week before the event, several sources started predicting a scaled-back top-end (I think MOSR predicted only 800 mhz?), which is what we saw.

I'm not expecting any performance miracles until the G5. Whatever Jobs is hoping to "blow [us] away" with, it's likely a new digital device, not a Mac.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>Lets just hope the Powermac doesn't top out at 1 GHz or it will be MWNY all over again but worse with Apple adding fuel to the fire this time around...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Could Jobs Ego be so blinding? I think maybe, yes...
  • Reply 27 of 80
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Yes I am afraid it is another ho-hum expo.

If this is all they are hyping then they really suk. However, I think these specks are right-on. It really is dishearting being a Mac fan. These specks are LAME to say the least. A 750 G3 - COME ON! Frigging lame, lame, lame, lame. Apollo G4 @ 1GHZ - BIG WHOOPY-DO!

STEVE CRACK THE WHIP AND GIVE US SOME REAL COMPUTERS!
  • Reply 28 of 80
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    WHAT ABOUT THE TOWERS!?!?

They don't mention the towers, Apollo, G5 whatever. Did the source simply not know about the towers but they knew about the others? Why would they not release new towers?
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Don't you see whats going on?!?!?!

Are you guyz reading this posts?!?!?!

Almost all of them are gloom and doom now, despite (or maybe because of) Apple's hype machine.

Something big is coming. Apple learned from its mistakes, they wouldn't be hyping for no reason.

750 MHz G3s? Get real. Jobs would be lynched on stage. My theory: These leaks are intentional, designed to reduce the hype that we create. And if you read this thread, it seems to be working.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    [quote]Originally posted by discstickers:

<strong>Don't you see whats going on?!?!?!

Are you guyz reading this posts?!?!?!

Almost all of them are gloom and doom now, despite (or maybe because of) Apple's hype machine.

Something big is coming. Apple learned from its mistakes, they wouldn't be hyping for no reason.

750 MHz G3s? Get real. Jobs would be lynched on stage. My theory: These leaks are intentional, designed to reduce the hype that we create. And if you read this thread, it seems to be working.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sure hope you are right, but I am getting the sinking feeling. I mean they hyped the iPod as revolutionary, and it is only a MP3 Player. I am afraid, very afraid they have over sold this one. I am trying to believe...

There's no place like home...

• Reply 31 of 80
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by discstickers:

<strong>

750 MHz G3s? Get real. Jobs would be lynched on stage. My theory: These leaks are intentional, designed to reduce the hype that we create. And if you read this thread, it seems to be working.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah right.

In the days before OS X was released, and early reports started filtering in about how slow it was, some MacNN posters seriously thought Apple had deliberately released a slow build in order to really "wow" people with the "real," faster build a few days later. Yes, hope does strange things to peoples' reason ...
  • Reply 32 of 80
    ThinkSecret now seems to have new info on MWSF. They got it straight from MacMinute, hahaha

Stupid, they repeat everything MacMinute siad and because MacMinute didn't mention G5s, ThinkSecret calls the G5 rumor ridiculous. I wonder what ThinkSecret wouldv'e said if MacMinute did report on G5s?
  • Reply 33 of 80
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]

<strong>ThinkSecret now seems to have new info on MWSF. They got it straight from MacMinute, hahaha</strong><hr></blockquote>

ThinkSecret is one of the most consistently lame rumor sites.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Except for the $1800 iMac (hello, Cube fiasco!), I think these reports sounds spectacular!

iMac LCD - cool! (God, I hope they are wrong on the price, tho.)

Faster, colored iBooks - cool!

Powermac G4 1 GHz (DP?) - so fast it can outrun itself*

Faster Powerbook - well, ok, no one has mentioned this, but what the hell, this is my bit of wishful thinking

iPhoto - yes!

other stuff no one has dreamed of - oh, yeah!

SdC

* (footnote) - anyone who says the current Powermacs aren't fast doesn't own one.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]I mean they hyped the iPod as revolutionary<hr></blockquote>Apple's exact words were breakthrough. They do not mean the same thing.

[quote]In the days before OS X was released, and early reports started filtering in about how slow it was, some MacNN posters seriously thought Apple had deliberately released a slow build in order to really "wow" people with the "real," faster build a few days later. Yes, hope does strange things to peoples' reason ...<hr></blockquote>

Yeah--Build 4K80. No debug code and it WAS really fast.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    I sure hope you are right, but I am getting the sinking feeling. I mean they hyped the iPod as revolutionary, and it is only a MP3 Player. I am afraid, very afraid they have over sold this one. I am trying to believe...

People keep mentioning the iPod as something that is not revolutionary. I think the iPod is a revolutionary MP3 player. If Apple can rehash other devices into iDevices that are a step or two ahead that is pretty remarkable for the size of company that they are.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    i'm hoping the $1800 imac is THAT expensive because it's coming with the optional superdrive. if not, ouch.....
  • Reply 38 of 80
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Oh yes, I'm sure Apple would intentionally label 750MHz iMacs and colored iBooks as "products of the future."

Even if this is all we're getting in the desktop/portable line (which I highly doubt mind you) there is a missing link no one is reporting, hense Apple's hype.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Majuki:

<strong>Top end 1GHz G4! Yes! This is great! :/

PowerMac G4 at 1GHz

Tagline: "1GHz down, one to go"

So who is inclined to believe MacUser and MacNN?</strong><hr></blockquote>

When MacUser posts these rumors, they tend to be right. Also, the article doesn't say 1Ghz. They know it'll at least go to 1Ghz, but they don't seem to know how high it will indeed go.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    [quote] (footnote) - anyone who says the current Powermacs aren't fast doesn't own one <hr></blockquote>

Not fast enough for OSX. I played on one in the Apple store and window resizing was barely faster than my current G4 450. I think the speed is not only important as is the inclision of DDR with a faster bus. OS X is the perfect measuring stick, and the current towers don't make X fly as much as my G4 450 flys OS 9.