Set up NIS Server or Open Directory on Mac OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello out there,

I am a Apple N00b and got only a little expierience in Linux.

The Problem is, i want to set up an open directory Server on my iMac. Temporary I have no Server and want to Use it as an account management like NIS. Or could I use NIS, and how to Install it under MAC OSX.

At this Point I only got Mac OS X and not the Server Version.

If anyone got an Idea of a good Solution please Post it.

(Sorry about my bad english)

Grims

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    It's quite difficult to setup a non-server version of OSX as an authentication server (cept for netinfo).

You need the workgroup manager and a couple of others (open directory assistant) to make it easy.

Don't use nis (or nis+). Its not exactly current!

Use LDAP or AD if you want hetrogeneous authentication.

Saying this, you might find reference material or a guide on the web that tells you how to do it.

You will probably find more help on this type of setup on the omnigroup macosx admin mailing list. (www.omnigroup.com)

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by grims

Hello out there,

I am a Apple N00b and got only a little expierience in Linux.

The Problem is, i want to set up an open directory Server on my iMac. Temporary I have no Server and want to Use it as an account management like NIS. Or could I use NIS, and how to Install it under MAC OSX.

At this Point I only got Mac OS X and not the Server Version.

If anyone got an Idea of a good Solution please Post it.

(Sorry about my bad english)

Grims

Well, are you looking for full directory services or just authentication? If just authentication, there are kerberos and radius solutions out there that would be suitable in a pinch.