VNC server standard in Tiger ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was using Tiger (build A369) on a Mac to give it a try and I notice that a VNC server was available in the Sharing preference. It's part of the Apple Remote Desktop Sharing. You then have a range of check box to control the permissions of the allowed users.

The whole Apple Remote Desktop is not available in Tiger, just the VNC feature.

I post this because I see nowhere a reference to this new feature.

Note that it could be dropped before the final release.

Have you notice this to ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Apple has been using the VNC protocols for AppleRemoteDesktop for a while now, at least for the remote control part. It is possible that the ARD client (not server) will be a standard install in 10.4, or it could be that the development copies are just shipping with it right now. If Apple could really tighten down the security so malware could not turn it on, I would love to see ARD Client as part of a standard install.

And since Microsoft has been putting in a single client "Terminal Server" in Windows XP, it would be a great "oh, ya... we have that too" checkbox for Apple without putting much work into it. Just throw a copy of Cicken-of-the-VNC onto the machine (preferably with a name change, and possibly a GUI update... gotta be brushed metal ya' know... *kidding*) a control panel (sounds like it is there), and little documentation and everything is in place.

As a point, there was a build of MacOS 9 beta that included the MacintoshManager client as a standard component, but the final shipping version had it as an optional install.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

And since Microsoft has been putting in a single client "Terminal Server" in Windows XP, it would be a great "oh, ya... we have that too" checkbox for Apple without putting much work into it. Just throw a copy of Cicken-of-the-VNC onto the machine (preferably with a name change, and possibly a GUI update... gotta be brushed metal ya' know... *kidding*) a control panel (sounds like it is there), and little documentation and everything is in place.

I totaly agree with you. It could be a good add on. And every thing seems in place right know. The control panel is already there.