Is the New iPod Photo New?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is the 60GB model the same as the prior generation?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    feraliferali Posts: 173member
    i think so. it doesnt look any slimmer( damn) and i dont see any new features.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,656member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ferali

    i think so. it doesnt look any slimmer( damn) and i dont see any new features.



    The 60GB is no different - as far as I can tell. Just cheaper and lacking FireWIre, case and dock. This is good though, it means my iPod photo will work with the camera connector. The 30GB is thinner.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    The 60GB is no different - as far as I can tell. Just cheaper and lacking FireWIre, case and dock. This is good though, it means my iPod photo will work with the camera connector. The 30GB is thinner.



    Well, since it lacks a case, firewire, and a dock it's not really cheaper at all. They just removed features and hoped everyone wouldn't notice.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

    Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

    Well, since it lacks a case, firewire, and a dock it's not really cheaper at all. They just removed features and hoped everyone wouldn't notice.



    Let's be fair...today's iPod Photo 60 is $449. It's $150 less than yesterday.



    $40 iPod Photo Dock

    $20 iPod Photo AV Cable

    $20 iPod Firewire Cable

    $20 iPod Photo Case

    ----

    $100



    So take a $600 iPod Photo, remove $100 worth of extras to lower the base price, and Apple could still have charged $500. By dropping the price another $50, it's an additional 10% off even with the extra items removed.



    Not every update needs to be stunningly innovative...sufficently progressive is a good step in the right direction, and I think the entire new lineup of iPods meets that goal. Even if you don't feel Apple hit a home run with this iPod update, it's at least a solid triple.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    i think apple learned a very valuable lesson.



    regardless of features and it's current iconic status, the price equilibrium point for an ipod is less then $500. psychologically, i don't think people will buy an ipod that costs more then a computer from the same company.



    so they went with $450 to be safe and i think they will start selling in numbers again. talking about the most expensive ipod.



    as long as they keep adding features and lowering prices the ipod will be with us for a while longer. there will be a point when the ipod will start to become a commodity item but i hope apple has another must have gadget by then.



    chung lee
Sign In or Register to comment.