Utility for capturing a Web page larger than screen?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an urgent need to take some screen shots (static, not QuickTime movies) of a Java-based Web page that's longer than my screen. Apple's system screen capture and Grab utility won't capture more than what appears on the screen. Print to PDF won't render Java-based pages: they lose formatting and it looks like garbage. A utility I found called Paparazzi is blocked by the page's browser detection. SnapzProX won't do it, and another utility called SnapWeb looked promising but again won't render the page properly.

Are there any options other than stitching together separate screen shots in Photoshop? Hard to believe that with all the Web development on the Mac that there isn't a simple capture utility that actually works for this situation (e.g., could "lasso" a scrolling page and capture it). (And it doesn't help that my coworkers keep telling me "you can do this in Windows no problem.")

Anyone found a way to do this successfully?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    not sure what type of mac you are using but you could try to max out the resolution on your display (try using an external monitor if you have a powerbook to achieve higher than 1280x854). then try screen grab with the browser full screen. hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks, but I'm using a G5 iMac 20" display. I just don't have the vertical space I need to see the entire page. (But I can make the page really wide...whoopee!) I've even tried using Internet Explorer instead of Safari because IE lets you scale down a page on-screen. Would've been great except that IE doesn't render the page properly

As of now, I'm taking multiple screen shots in SnapzPro X and combining them in Photoshop. Not too bad, except that it takes time and I'm on a tight deadline. At least I'm getting paid for my frustration!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

Thanks, but I'm using a G5 iMac 20" display. I just don't have the vertical space I need to see the entire page. (But I can make the page really wide...whoopee!) I've even tried using Internet Explorer instead of Safari because IE lets you scale down a page on-screen. Would've been great except that IE doesn't render the page properly

As of now, I'm taking multiple screen shots in SnapzPro X and combining them in Photoshop. Not too bad, except that it takes time and I'm on a tight deadline. At least I'm getting paid for my frustration!

Did you try Firefox? That lets you see the whole picture as well, and it renders better than IE...