iPod Help.. very basic, regarding iTunes and searching for songs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok everyone,

i want to be able to search through the songs on my iPod Mini through iTunes (you know, making sure i've got particular songs on it). But when i have it set up for Automatic Update it locks the iPod and the entire listing of songs goes all grey and faded out. So too does the search bar.

So what i've been doing is going to the iPod preferences and turning it to Manual Update mode when i want to search. I can't imagine why it's locked like this and want to know how to keep it unlocked, but still updating automatically???

Thanks for your time everyone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

ok everyone,

i want to be able to search through the songs on my iPod Mini through iTunes (you know, making sure i've got particular songs on it). But when i have it set up for Automatic Update it locks the iPod and the entire listing of songs goes all grey and faded out. So too does the search bar.

So what i've been doing is going to the iPod preferences and turning it to Manual Update mode when i want to search. I can't imagine why it's locked like this and want to know how to keep it unlocked, but still updating automatically???

Thanks for your time everyone

I am not sure there is a way to search the songs on the iPod through iTunes. But from what you write in your post, you are looking for specific songs to "make sure" they are there. You can be sure that if you have iTunes set to automatically update or to update only playlists, all the checked songs will be included. iTunes will not forget or skip songs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    if you have your ipod set to auto update, it is an exact mirror of your itunes library. if its in itunes, its on the ipod.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Well my iTunes library is over 11GB, so obviously this doesn't all fit on my iPod Mini....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

Well my iTunes library is over 11GB, so obviously this doesn't all fit on my iPod Mini....

well then it is an exact mirror of whatever playlists you have selected to be on your iPod.......
  • Reply 5 of 6
    yes i know this too. But sometimes i'll drag a song onto my iPod that isn't in a playlist. So how do i check which songs i've done this with without turning my iPod to manual update, and then back to auto when im done??

there's a little padlock symbol that is displayed at the bottom of my iPod library library when it's set to Auto (which is also when it's all greyed-out). how can i unlock this padlock, but keep my iPod auto updating?

im sure there must be a way, it makes no sense why you can't browse through your iPod library while it's plugged in.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If you're dragging songs to it manually, then that's not an automatic update, is it?

Make a playlist called 'iPod singles' or some such. Set it to auto-update. Next time you want to add just a song to the iPod, add it to that, iTunes will take care of the rest. Then you'll *know* that it's on the iPod, if it's in there, or one of your other playlists set for updating.

You're trying to get auto update, but with manual update at the same time. Won't work.