How long until new cinema displays?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just purchased a 20 inch cinema display this week. I really like it. However, I was curious, do we have any idea, when they might release new cinema displays? I know that this one is 8+ months old at this point. I thought, when they lowered the price, it might have been in an effort to keep them out longer, without an update.

Even if they do update them before too long, do you really think they would redesign them, or just add some features? I find it hard to believe they would do much of a redesign, since it matches the Powerbooks and Powermacs right now. What are your thoughts on when updates will come to cinema displays and what will those updates be? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

I just purchased a 20 inch cinema display this week. I really like it. However, I was curious, do we have any idea, when they might release new cinema displays? I know that this one is 8+ months old at this point. I thought, when they lowered the price, it might have been in an effort to keep them out longer, without an update.

Even if they do update them before too long, do you really think they would redesign them, or just add some features? I find it hard to believe they would do much of a redesign, since it matches the Powerbooks and Powermacs right now. What are your thoughts on when updates will come to cinema displays and what will those updates be? Thanks.

it'll be a long time. the most that would happen would a smaller or cheaper (crappy) display.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Continued price drops in the future, especially given the price competition by Dell with their 20" and soon to be 24" widescreen LCDs. Doubtful on new Cinema displays for the next 12-18 months, IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    yeah, other than price drops I wouldn't expect much.

although I think if the execs think Mac mini sales are string enough you'll maybe see a cheaper entry level display, as suggested earlier.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    IMHO I don't think they need to update the Cinema Displays for some time. The design is beautiful and the quality is impressive. Like others said price drop is possible with all the competition from other companies. The displays are beautiful.