No USB drive will mount on new PB--Disk Utility locks up.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Spankin' new PB, and none of my external USB drives will mount

External USB 2.0 HD Enclosure

USB-powered Zip 100 drive

Old USB floppy drive

But they will all mount correctly on my old ibook which is running 10.2.6. It only has USB 1.

When I plug them in, they're powered (the zip/floppy drives spin, and the HD green light turns red for a second) but they never show up on the desktop (yes, I have Show HDs selected in Finder prefs).

I run Disk Utility and it locks up, spinning with its "Gathering Disk Information" until I unplug the device. As soon as I do so the HD and internal Superdrive show up in Disk Utility as normal.

They don't show up in DiskWarrior either.

I've got the 10.3.8 combo and have all the security settings on (firewall on, file sharing all off). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Spankin' new PB, and none of my external USB drives will mount

External USB 2.0 HD Enclosure

USB-powered Zip 100 drive

Old USB floppy drive

But they will all mount correctly on my old ibook which is running 10.2.6. It only has USB 1.

When I plug them in, they're powered (the zip/floppy drives spin, and the HD green light turns red for a second) but they never show up on the desktop (yes, I have Show HDs selected in Finder prefs).

I run Disk Utility and it locks up, spinning with its "Gathering Disk Information" until I unplug the device. As soon as I do so the HD and internal Superdrive show up in Disk Utility as normal.

They don't show up in DiskWarrior either.

I've got the 10.3.8 combo and have all the security settings on (firewall on, file sharing all off). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--B

Well there's obviously something wrong with the USB 2.0 on the PowerBook. I've had no problems, using the same hardware and software with USB iPod shuffle. What about printers etc. do they work ok? My Zip Disk works fine on my PowerBook (Zip 250MB through a hub).

I'd phone Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

What about printers etc. do they work ok?

I'd phone Apple.

Don't have printers or anything else to try it with at the moment, but the truth is that 0/3 is pretty convincing.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Not that I don't respect Crazy, but if my PB had come with his latch, I'd have slapped some duct tape on that sucka or stuck some bubba yum in there before sending it back. And anyways, I don't take advice from anyone born after Macintosh System 3.1.

Any fix/settings adjustment/utility that I could try? This is really crampin' my style, guys.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

.... And anyways, I don't take advice from anyone born after Macintosh System 3.1.

--B

hmm.. i turn 27 this september, so i will have to investigate if you think i am qualified to give advice before attempting to answer your question...

i guess "get all new FW 400/800 peripherals" doesn't sound too good huh... \
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Don't have printers or anything else to try it with at the moment, but the truth is that 0/3 is pretty convincing.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Not that I don't respect Crazy, but if my PB had come with his latch, I'd have slapped some duct tape on that sucka or stuck some bubba yum in there before sending it back. And anyways, I don't take advice from anyone born after Macintosh System 3.1.

Any fix/settings adjustment/utility that I could try? This is really crampin' my style, guys.

--B

Well as far as I'm concerned I've paid £2000 for a computer that's faulty. I'm not sticking duct tape on my powerbook. I treat it like its made of glass. Not a chance. Sorry for being too young, I wont try and answer your future questions.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Well as far as I'm concerned I've paid £2000 for a computer that's faulty.

damn... that's a lot of money for a PowerBook?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

damn... that's a lot of money for a PowerBook?

well look at my sig, I'm getting all the optional extras! And yes it's a lot - therefore if something goes wrong Apple fix it. It also means that they can monitor their problems and make sure it doesn't happen often.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    According to MacRumors:

Quote:

Bug fixes listed include USB 2.0 Hard Drive Mouting, CUPS drivers, Directory Services performance, Video Driver fixes, Fax and modem driver fixes, and more.

So the USB drives could be not working due to a bug in the OS. But then I'm too young to be helping you. As I said earlier I'd ask Apple but maybe that's because I've got a strong feminine side. Most men don't like asking for help, do they!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

But then I'm too young to be helping you. As I said earlier I'd ask Apple but maybe that's because I've got a strong feminine side. Most men don't like asking for help, do they!!

Wow. Age discrimination seems to be a tetchy subject for some--but seriously people, if we can't laugh about age discrimination, WTF can we laugh at?!

Seriously, though, all advice is appreciated, no matter the source. Turns out, though, that after a few restarts, turning SysPrefs on and off, I'm up and running again, as are my USB drives. I did end up calling Apple, but there's no phone techsupp here on Sundays. So it looks like I got myself blacklisted for nuthin.

Thanks anyways, kiddos,

--B
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Wow. Age discrimination seems to be a tetchy subject for some--but seriously people, if we can't laugh about age discrimination, WTF can we laugh at?!

Seriously, though, all advice is appreciated, no matter the source. Turns out, though, that after a few restarts, turning SysPrefs on and off, I'm up and running again, as are my USB drives. I did end up calling Apple, but there's no phone techsupp here on Sundays. So it looks like I got myself blacklisted for nuthin.

Thanks anyways, kiddos,

--B

Don't worry I'm not easily offended - I was kidding with you.