iPhoto: my wish list

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just thought I'd share some of my iPhoto ideas with you guys.

Let me know what you think

- A Photo CD should appear like a camera now appears (may already be available, need confirmation)

- Mobile Phone support, direct download of images from mobile into iPhoto (as a device)

- A camera should be able to be browsed, and be able to select which images you want to download into which Album (similar to Image Capture, download some vs download all)

- Abilty to browse other sources like a network drive (similar to Adobe Photoshop CS browse feature)

- Better Web Page export feature, add preview, and ability to choose font

- Photo stitching, creation of panoramas

- Support for Locations/GPS of Photos, so can search by place and even a map would be a killer feature IMO indicating WHERE I've taken photos

- Slideshow, manual slide progression option (without, play and pause)

- Slideshow, option for mini on screen controls, just with Play, Back and Forward

- Slideshow, button on Controls for "thumbnail view" to be able to go to ANY slide rather than just sequencial, and show you where you currently are in the slideshow

- Ability to show a selected image(s) in iPhoto as "full screen" without having to do a slideshow, maybe option in Edit mode

- Photo count numbers, make smaller and blue, similar to Finder

- Background Colour, ability to choose any colour

- More Smart Album conditions, like image size, b&w/colour/sepia, image format (JPG,TIF, RAW etc), Camera model, Exposure Settings (like ISO, Apature etc).

(from my website: http://mactimeline.com/macwishlist.html)

Happy to hear other thoughts and ideas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Sounds nice some nice ideas. You should submit them to Apple using their feedback form:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Sounds nice some nice ideas. You should submit them to Apple using their feedback form:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html

Yep, had already done that. But thought I'd share some of the ideas here as well

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    One thing I would really like to see in iPhoto is some sort of versioning feature for pictures. For example, I sometimes have both a black and white and a color version of a picture. It is pretty wasteful to have two copies (e.g., iPhoto then stores two copies of the original). I would like a little pop up menu someplace which allowed me to see the color version, the b&w version or the original. This would also solve a problem that a bunch of people have been complaining about in the way iPhoto 5 handles RAW images. The problem is that, after you edit a RAW file, it becomes a jpg and you lose access to the original 12 bit data stored in the RAW file (well... you can export it but then you end up with an extra copy someplace on your hard drive that you have to re-import into iPhoto which is really a pain). With a versioning system like I suggested you could select the original RAW version and then drag it to Photoshop.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

One thing I would really like to see in iPhoto is some sort of versioning feature for pictures. For example, I sometimes have both a black and white and a color version of a picture. It is pretty wasteful to have two copies (e.g., iPhoto then stores two copies of the original). I would like a little pop up menu someplace which allowed me to see the color version, the b&w version or the original. This would also solve a problem that a bunch of people have been complaining about in the way iPhoto 5 handles RAW images. The problem is that, after you edit a RAW file, it becomes a jpg and you lose access to the original 12 bit data stored in the RAW file (well... you can export it but then you end up with an extra copy someplace on your hard drive that you have to re-import into iPhoto which is really a pain). With a versioning system like I suggested you could select the original RAW version and then drag it to Photoshop.

what I do is duplicate the photo first and then edit that one.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I'd like to see the themes offered in the books, offered for our websites.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

I'd like to see the themes offered in the books, offered for our websites.

that would be cool. The themes are really nice. I'm not sure about the whole trying to look like a scrapbook with slanted pages and the folded pictures. But yeah good idea. I think it'll reduce book sales though.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Mac Crazy, it's possible it would reduce book sales, but I doubt it. I buy the books because I want them for old relatives that refuse to use computers, and I have my website because I want it. I just think it's time for us to progress beyond the snap-to-grid two, or three-column webpages. We ought to have more flexibility. I've written to Apple in their suggestions site, but that doesn't mean anything will get done unless more people start asking for that additional flexibility. The book themes are very simple to use, and should be provided to those of us that pay to have a .Mac website. Afterall, why not have our .Mac websites look as good as the very cool books we can now make? Unless more people ask for the option, it'll never happen though.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Mac Crazy, it's possible it would reduce book sales, but I doubt it. I buy the books because I want them for old relatives that refuse to use computers, and I have my website because I want it. I just think it's time for us to progress beyond the snap-to-grid two, or three-column webpages. We ought to have more flexibility. I've written to Apple in their suggestions site, but that doesn't mean anything will get done unless more people start asking for that additional flexibility. The book themes are very simple to use, and should be provided to those of us that pay to have a .Mac website. Afterall, why not have our .Mac websites look as good as the very cool books we can now make? Unless more people ask for the option, it'll never happen though.

Well yeah it would be nice to have better themes but the book themes aren't very suitable for the web. They would need to be adapted. I only use the themes to save me time. I can't be bothered to design pages and I only use the .Mac to host the photos so I can link them, to this forum!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I just wish it wouldn't have to launch Quicktime when I want to watch one of my little 2 MB movies. If Quicktime can be embedded in a web page, why not iPhoto? The option to rotate the video clips in iPhoto would be nice too. (I know, I shouldn't take portrait video, but it's a camera, and sometimes I can't help myself!

• Reply 10 of 14
    I'd also like the ability to export my Pages newsletters directly to my .Mac website through Pages. It uses pictures from iPhoto, so why not?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

I'd also like the ability to export my Pages newsletters directly to my .Mac website through Pages. It uses pictures from iPhoto, so why not?

Can't you export pages from Pages as HTML?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    According to Pages I can, but you have to remember, we're all not website designers and such. I'm a firefighter. Ask me how to make any car a convertible in five minutes and I can hook you up, or how to handle structural fires. But when it comes to websites, I admit whole heartedly that I'm out of my element, and therefore, I like the way iPhoto makes it easy to have a website with my pics. Its easy to use, it's just a little on the boring and square side. I'd like to be able to do the same with Pages, but exporting html and all that is best left to people who know what they are doing. It just needs to be as easy as iPhoto. The only reason I bring up Pages at all in this thread is because it's an awesome theme setup which allows for lots of pictures, text, and isn't just a few rows of pictures with two lines of text underneath. .Mac could look soooooo much better if we could use Pages to layout iPhoto pics and then publish to .Mac with the click of a button.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

what I do is duplicate the photo first and then edit that one.

I end up doing that, but I end up with two or three copies of almost every picture. ( I usually shoot in RAW so I end up with an original RAW file and a jpg at least.) Then if I look through the library, I end up seeing multiple copies of everything. Alternatively, I can set up albums of just the edited versions but then if I want to go back and look at/edit the original I have to go back to the library and find it. Either is sort of a pain.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

According to Pages I can, but you have to remember, we're all not website designers and such. I'm a firefighter. Ask me how to make any car a convertible in five minutes and I can hook you up, or how to handle structural fires. But when it comes to websites, I admit whole heartedly that I'm out of my element, and therefore, I like the way iPhoto makes it easy to have a website with my pics. Its easy to use, it's just a little on the boring and square side. I'd like to be able to do the same with Pages, but exporting html and all that is best left to people who know what they are doing. It just needs to be as easy as iPhoto. The only reason I bring up Pages at all in this thread is because it's an awesome theme setup which allows for lots of pictures, text, and isn't just a few rows of pictures with two lines of text underneath. .Mac could look soooooo much better if we could use Pages to layout iPhoto pics and then publish to .Mac with the click of a button.

Yeah I agree, but basically what Pages will be doing is converting the document to HTML and putting the pics in your iPhoto library. However, web-sites are different from pages - they are and should be designed in different ways. Even when using Creative Suite you can convert an InDesign file to GoLive but it isn't the same and isn't a straightforward swap. What I would recommend would be to export as PDF and link that on your .Mac web-site. All major browsers will show PDFs.

Quote:

I end up doing that, but I end up with two or three copies of almost every picture. ( I usually shoot in RAW so I end up with an original RAW file and a jpg at least.) Then if I look through the library, I end up seeing multiple copies of everything. Alternatively, I can set up albums of just the edited versions but then if I want to go back and look at/edit the original I have to go back to the library and find it. Either is sort of a pain.

What we need is something similar to Version Cue - obviously with better implementation because Adobe Version Cue is a pain. It saves the versions but you can't find them on the harddisk. It arranges it all for you - so you have to go through it for files.