New PowerBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought a new 17 1.7 gig PB. What can I do to ensure that the OS is always running optimally, and that web surfing and downloading this and that don't bloat my computer and slow it down.

I guess what I am askiing for is a rock solid maintenance routine to keep my new Mac happy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I just bought a new 17 1.7 gig PB. What can I do to ensure that the OS is always running optimally, and that web surfing and downloading this and that don't bloat my computer and slow it down.

I guess what I am askiing for is a rock solid maintenance routine to keep my new Mac happy.

Well personally I'd recommend only downloading programs you need and that you trust the makers off. Resetting safari every-so-often is a good idea as is removing those icons that appear in the address bar - I'm not sure how to do that. Running permissions repair will sort out any badly built programs and deleting cache and prefs can keep the system running smoothly. Some people do a clean install every few months to keep the system running at top speed. I personally don't do this. I had a lot of junk on my old iMac G3 - I reset it for my sister and noticed no speed improvements. Apart from starting up which was slow due to the number of fonts I had.