Mac mini has missing components?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Very interesting read...

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/mac...mini_ipod.html

Wonder why Apple has such a difficult time keeping trade secrets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Right before Macworld there were rumors (on ThinkSecret?) that it would have an iPod dock, but the idea got scrapped somewhere along the line.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Right before Macworld there were rumors (on ThinkSecret?) that it would have an iPod dock, but the idea got scrapped somewhere along the line.

Could it be connectors to make the mini more of a set-top box... video in/out, etc.?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    The original iMac didn't have anything in its mezzanine port, nobody said there was anything "missing" though.

They probably didn't have enough room in the shell for another FW port.

The mac mini has just enough features to NOT undercut any of Apple's other products. It is NOT a better deal than a G5, you simply get what you pay for... in regards to other macs anyway.

• Reply 4 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iRiKLiAN

Very interesting read...

Yes it was more so for the people looking for more I/O ports on the machine. I'm more convinced than ever that Apple could give the people who want a Mine with more ports, a machine at the same costs as we have today. All we need is a reallocation of space on the rear panel, it appears that the elecctronics is ther already.

Quote:

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/mac...mini_ipod.html

Wonder why Apple has such a difficult time keeping trade secrets.

It is not much of a trade secret once it is on the market. Also I think it is fair to say that hardware, that is non trivial, these days always have unimplemented features.

Dave