3g ipod mini

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When do you guys think apple will release a 3g ipod mini. im hoping that the 3g has a color screen. and larger memory. do you guys think the info from thinksecrect about a new mini coming out in the 4th quarter is acurate?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lilhawaiisurfa

When do you guys think apple will release a 3g ipod mini. im hoping that the 3g has a color screen. and larger memory. do you guys think the info from thinksecrect about a new mini coming out in the 4th quarter is acurate?

it seems reasonable
  • Reply 2 of 6
    With the colour screen I don't care either way, if I want to display photos etc I'll get the iPod photo and the UI can't really be improved by adding extra colours (I guess a colour screen is more of a battery drain than mono too?). The only other thing would be to add colour games, but for me thats not really much of an attraction.

Bigger disk space will creap into the minis as the hdd's themselves become available - a 10GB mini sound very nice!

Pre Xmas for this stuff sounds good for getting the sales.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    i suspect that the 2G minis wont sell as well as their predecessors. not teribly much worse, but the colors dont give off that cool metallic like color any more because they are alot more thicker in color. and they need to have more colors, more space, and im sure some people are waiting for a color screen. but they aren't too bad, though.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Nah. Color is not coming. The iPod mini will remain the mid-level champ.

iPod 3G mini will have an 8-10GB hd and perhaps a few modifications.

The iPod 5G will have bluetooth and the color screens. The ipod shuffle will remain screenless.

This adds clear lines of delineation on the lineup.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    but dont you think that to keep ahead of competitors they need to have a color screen within the next revision? i have seen some pretty cool players out there.. (none as cool as the iPod, of course) and i think to stay at the head of the market it will need.. stuff along the lines of a color screen, voice recording, a larger hard drive.. and probably a few other things that I am not thinking of right now.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm torn about some of these features that people talk about as necessities. Everyone has their "something" whether it be an FM tuner or voice recorder or blahblahblah.

While I believe their needs are important I'm really doubting that the majority of the public really wants such feature laden devices. We have decades of portable audio device history to look at and it seems like ease of use, size and audio quality seem to trump the peripheral accessories that some clamor for.

I believe that the drive by companies to highlight their FM tuners, voice recording etc are purely done for marketing reasons. I've received free FM tuners that are tiny. Voice recorders have been around for ages yet they never were big sellers.

Apple will likely have to add one of these features but the real magic of the iPod is the iTunes Music Store. Improving that portion of the combo will yield the most consumer satisfaction IMO.