Going to see the 17" PowerBook today.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Hong Kong is holding a special event today to launch the new PowerBooks. I'm assuming they'll have a few 17" models to show off. I'll report here with my first impressions.

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, so I won't be taking any pics.

Does anyone have any specific things they want me to check?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I actually got to see one last week. The thing is awesome.

A couple of things I learned about it that I didn't know before:

1. The screen is 'counter balanced' or something similar to the trick they used with the iMac screen. You can open and close it with the slightest touch of a finger (well, not too slight. It was just right - not flimsy.

2. There are 3 'zones' on the trackpad from left to right. If you are typing on the keyboard and your hands touch zone 1 and zone 3 (the two outer zones) the trackpad doesn't accidentally respond. However, if you are playing a game or something, using the keyboard, and you want to control with the trackpad, simply touch the middle zone (zone 2) and it responds like normal - very cool.

Oh, and it looks MUCH cooler in person than in the pics- not so gargantuan.

I give it a 10. It was beautiful.

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Tat's great!! Apple Singapore doesn't have 17" PB for sale...only 12" PBs. ME gonna go to some 3rd party stores this weekend to check it out.

I want to look at the 12" cuties up,close and personal!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Good... many of my friends in HK totally missed the presentation due to time conflict. I saw the 'Books on MWSF, very good indeed but of course out of my range. Still want to see the new 20" in-person. Are you one of the member in imacguru.com?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    i ve been to the party too,

the 12" and 17" powerbooks are really something.

the 20" display......what can i say?

but when i played around with the 12", i can feel some

'lag' in response, imovie wasnt playing smoothly,

hope it's just the 256mb ram, anyone charge it to 640 mb?

and it was quite hot indeed.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>I'll have trouble deciding between an aluminized 15" PowerBook and the 17 incher.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow, did Apple announce they would start making the 15" in Aluminum? I must have missed that, but I guess it makes sense...although I think it would be kinda cool to keep Titanium around. I've heard people had some problems with it, but its still nice to have the choice.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: Michael Grey ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Nope. The 15" PowerBook is still a Titanium. I'm typing on my new one right now!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by firehc:

<strong>when i played around with the 12", i can feel some

'lag' in response, imovie wasnt playing smoothly,

hope it's just the 256mb ram</strong><hr></blockquote>

I noticed the same when I was playing with one on the weekend, although the default mouse speed settings weren't a help.

I'm trusting RAM will be a help, since that machine seemed less responsive than my 450MHz Cube with 1.5 GB...