2 System Libraries???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey, hope someone out there has some insight for me...

I'm running 10.3.8 on an iMac G4 and for some time now I've been living in a world with 2 system libraries. One is the library folder in my user folder, the other is a library folder inside my main folder with no icon. I've been too scraed to mess with it in the past and the computer runs just fine with them. I'm just curious ans to how it may have happened and if there is a way to consolidate them into the one library in my user folder without deleting stuff I need, etc. It's weird ... pref panes for certain programs will be in one library, but iTunes scripts will be in the other and so on ... I can't remember how long it's been like that ... probably upwards of a year - definitely before I switched to Panther in Jan '04.

Any ideas??? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

One is the library folder in my user folder, the other is a library folder inside my main folder with no icon.

I don't really know what you mean by your "main folder", but there should be three library folders on your machine. One located at /library, one at /system/library and another at ~/library, where ~ represents the root of your user folder.

Mac OS X is a multi-user OS. Anything that goes in ~/library is accessible only to you, global stuff can be put into /library by an administrator, and only the system (via updates etc.) should put stuff in /system/library

hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

I don't really know what you mean by your "main folder", but there should be three library folders on your machine. One located at /library, one at /system/library and another at ~/library, where ~ represents the root of your user folder.

Mac OS X is a multi-user OS. Anything that goes in ~/library is accessible only to you, global stuff can be put into /library by an administrator, and only the system (via updates etc.) should put stuff in /system/library

hope that helps.

Very helpful, thank you for the insight!