Should charging over USB 2.0 on my iBook be this slow?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My iPod mini seems to take forever to charge over USB 2.0 - it took well over 5 hours yesterday to say it was fully charged, and it was already half full in the first place. Is it this slow because my USB broadband modem is drawing loads of power from my USB ports on my iBook? Does this affect it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    CHarging over USB is slower than FireWire.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm hopefully getting a firewire cable from a PC user's iPod next week, so now I'll be able to transfer faster and charge faster, and still have my USB port free for my printer.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Just thought I'd ay, that despite Apple saying that the iPod mini requires USB 2.0 to charge, mine is currently happily charging on my Mums old 600MHz G3 iMac as I write this. Would I be correct in saying therefore that it will charge on any high powered USB port? (ie decent USB 1.1 ports, and all USB 2.0)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I think the ability was there, just not advertised, the Ipod i got back in august, was able to do it then on my ibook(found out by accident), it synced and charged over usb2 and firewire fine.. my friends did the same on his older ibook with usb1(same model as mine).