Noise issues with G4 Processor Upgrades

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is kind of odd, but have any of you (who purchased a new G4 processor upgrade) noticed more fan noise / noise fluctuations since installing your new processor(s)? It's like the overall noise level on mine is about the same (or maybe a little higher), and in part I guess it makes sense.

Hotter processor = more fan RPM, right? All built into the daughter cards settings?

But I notice also that the noise actually fluctuates - or more accurately, the pitch of the noise fluctuates. It seems to me to be a power issue. Any time I launch an app or open a large document (that is, when the processor is drawing the most power), the fan's pitch drops a little bit. Sort of like when you have a vacuum cleaner and it makes a lower pitched "struggling" noise when you run over a sock or something like that.

Anyone else notice this / have a solution. The noise I could learn to ignore but the change in pitch is annoying as hell.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Installed a Sonnet 1GHz in my 350MHz AGP, and no difference in noise. Of course, the upgrade has no CPU fan, but my system fan runs exactly the same.

I upgraded my Duron to an Athlon XP (2200+), and its CPU fan is louder.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hmm. Wonder if I have too many devices plugged into my surge protector or something. I haven't noticed it as much today but it probably just has to do with the original power supply and how much power the CPU was supposed to draw at any given time vs. this one.

Then again, would a 1 GHz 7455 draw *less* power overall than a 500 MHz 7400? I dunno... Maybe it was just an initial session thing and nothing more.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    The power fan monitors power usage.

Your new CPU uses more power than your previous one, therefore the fan is louder.

Under heavy load, power consumption is even more.

This is normal operation on 'noisekiller' power supplies.