quick question: Formatting iPod Mini for Windows?? Where and How?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all,

im trying to sell my iPod Mini (as i want a larger 6GB one) and i want to know how and where i can convert it to work on a PC (incase the buyer wants it formatted in such a way)??

Is it possible to format it through the apple.com website?

thanks for your time

PS. i really need a fast reply

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    when they plug it into their PC machine they are the ones would need to format it. you should just clean it out by reformatting for mac.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    You can only format it for Windows on a Windows machine.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    oh ok,

so you plug it in to your PC and then it'll ask you if you want to re-format it? is that it? that's nice and simple.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

oh ok,

so you plug it in to your PC and then it'll ask you if you want to re-format it? is that it? that's nice and simple.

No it won't ask you that. In my experience, you need a program called Partition Magic, because XP does not recognize any other filesystem except NTFS, FAT32, FAT. Partition Magic will not recognize its HFS+ either, but it will give you the option of formatting it.

And you can format it in your Mac, far as I know, using Disk Utility. Just format it as MS-DOS (or smth to that extent) and THEN Windows will recognize it as a drive, at which point they can install the software and load the iPod with music.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

No it won't ask you that. In my experience, you need a program called Partition Magic, because XP does not recognize any other filesystem except NTFS, FAT32, FAT. Partition Magic will not recognize its HFS+ either, but it will give you the option of formatting it.

And you can format it in your Mac, far as I know, using Disk Utility. Just format it as MS-DOS (or smth to that extent) and THEN Windows will recognize it as a drive, at which point they can install the software and load the iPod with music.

You should only reformat your iPod using the iPod Updater software. I've tried the Disk Utility route and it didn't work. By the way, my 1G mini was formatted for MacOS out-of-the-box, as all mini's were (not sure if this is the case anymore). Therefore, all Window's users had to reformat for MS-DOS. Honestly spiers69, I don't see it as a big deal for the potential buyer to set it up themselves.