Helppppppp! Wifi card for powerbook 550 Ti

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there, does anyone know of a wifi solution for my powerbook 550 ti ?

here's my dilemma so far...

Would install a original airport card ... If I could find one. There are none in Australia where I live without going to apple and asking for one as a spare part issue which requires me to have to give in a faulty card ( which I don't have to start with ... ) and then have the pleasure of coughing up $410.00 which is a bit rich for me right now.

God knows I tried the other option including the PCMCIA belkin 802.11g card which FRIED my logic board, which I have had replaced.

I downloaded the orangeware driver and tried out a D link DWL AG something 802.11g PCMCIA card at my local officeworks ( think compusa with less bright staff ) but that didnt work either the card showed up but no luck. I have started looking for a USB dongle but was warned off the Dlink usb 802.11b DWL 122 after reading many bad reports online. Does anyone have any success with any PCMCIA cards or USB or wants to sell a original airport card that works... I am very suspect about Ebay. Think aussie dollars and good karma.

Help me gebus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

Hi there, does anyone know of a wifi solution for my powerbook 550 ti ?

here's my dilemma so far...

Would install a original airport card ... If I could find one. There are none in Australia where I live without going to apple and asking for one as a spare part issue which requires me to have to give in a faulty card ( which I don't have to start with ... ) and then have the pleasure of coughing up $410.00 which is a bit rich for me right now.

God knows I tried the other option including the PCMCIA belkin 802.11g card which FRIED my logic board, which I have had replaced.

I downloaded the orangeware driver and tried out a D link DWL AG something 802.11g PCMCIA card at my local officeworks ( think compusa with less bright staff ) but that didnt work either the card showed up but no luck. I have started looking for a USB dongle but was warned off the Dlink usb 802.11b DWL 122 after reading many bad reports online. Does anyone have any success with any PCMCIA cards or USB or wants to sell a original airport card that works... I am very suspect about Ebay. Think aussie dollars and good karma.

Help me gebus.

mate, i lived in australia for 8 years on and off (bris, melb, syd) and i know tech and MAC !! stuff can be quite annoying, though much less so nowadays thanks to that little thing called the iPod...

mmmm... okay technically the PCMCIA/Cardbus should work with your TiBook but personally especially recently wireless makers are very very very very naughty when it comes to PCMCIA or USB wi-fi adapters for mac.

nowadays the best option is Airport for older laptops and Airport extreme for newer laptops...

jesus christ you must be pissed off because Airport Extreme is only AUD$119 now, how can they be asking for $400 for an old Airport card ??? wtf mate???

your best option WILL be ebay, IMHO... ebay australia or ebay USA... that or post to forums saying you wanna buy an old airport card for your TiBook 550... eBay is not too bad if the seller has pretty good ratings and feedback. remember also that if something were to be sent from the USA normally customs is not a problem if it is less than $1000 AUD in value, oz customs generally lets it go through okay in my experience from one or two things i bought from eBay USA
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    okay dude here's some stuff from ebay Australia

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....170992705&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....171973051&rd=1

if you're still wary of eBay,

maybe try giving this authorized apple dealer a call, i have had decent experience and he carries 2nd-hand older equipment from time to time... nice dude...

try giving [Inigo] a call he may remember my name (Sunil)

http://www.maccentre.com.au/

(sydney)

edit: okay MacCentre lists the older Airport card for $220 for a brand new card i think, i think there should be like a 1-month or 3-month or maybe even 1-year warranty on that
  • Reply 3 of 3
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    thanks sunil will call mac centre

regards celco