Are we doomed in yearly iMac/PowerMac refresh cycles?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a new Mac, this G4/400 is now four and a half years and though still capable, I wouldnt mind a new Mac. However, Apple seems to be in a yearly update cycle for the Power Macs which is purely ludicrous and we thought six months was bad. Aside some mhz increases and minor spec revision, the G5 has remained mostly the same since 2003.

I know any G5 is substantially better than this current setup but I wouldnt want to spend a pretty penny on eight month old hardware. So guys, are we doomed to only get PM updates annually @ WWDC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    One way that you have to look at it is the PC industry goes from 3.6GHz to 3.8GHz- big deal. A whopping 200MHz increase!

Apple/IBM on the other hand (in their last revision of the G5) went from 2GHz to 2.5GHz- a 500MHz increase. And if you count dual processors thats a 1GHz increase year over year.

If you look at iMacs it's a little less of a jump. 1.33GHz on the high end last time to 1.8GHz on the high end now- still around 500MHz.

But then you look at the powerbooks and it horrible, but mobile chips are a lot harder to handle so I don't expect much.

Peace.