Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Code:

Cable Modem-------------NIC1=====[PC]=====NIC2

|

|

|

XBOX

This is the way I have my mode, xbox and pc configured..

(------ represents Cat5) (=== is a PCI link)

What is the cheapest way to *wirelessly* obtain access to my PC's files and Internet connection) from my Airport enabled powerbook...

Do I need a wireless router or would a wireless access point suffice ?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Most wireless access points that I can think of are routers as well...

The CHEAPEST way to go might just be to get a wireless card for your PC. It could be a PCI card with an antenna, or it could be a USB dongle. Usually, you would be getting an access point as well so that the PC could connect to the internet wirelessly. However, with the wireless antenna installed you can use the PC itself as an access point. AirPort equipped Macs allow this functionality, and I assume other brands of WiFi would as well.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ripkordripkord Posts: 78member
    Really? that would be cool... that kind of makes sense I suppose, Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    wouldnt the usb connection be a bottleneck to the 54Mbps ?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The easiest and most efficient way is to get a router, don?t screw around with passing Internet through from one computer to another; I see routers going for 60 dollars and less so unless you like headaches or playing around don?t bother.

Also to play some online games you'll have to open ports that are not normally opened by default, OSX does not have an easy way to open these ports without turning off your firewall. GET A ROUTER!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ripkord

well, kinda... USB 1.1 tops out at 12Mbps USB 2.0 tops out at 480Mbps

you could go with a WiFi-G (802.11G) (airport "extreme") PCI card for your PC if you wanna get as much bandwidth when doing computer-computer transfers....
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Not for surfing, unless you have a 100Mbps lease line or something. I don't, do you?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Not for surfing, unless you have a 100Mbps lease line or something. I don't, do you?

yo Relic he also wants to do computer-computer (intra-network) transfers so USB 1.1 can be a bit of a bottleneck
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

The easiest and most efficient way is to get a router, don?t screw around with passing Internet through from one computer to another; I see routers going for 60 dollars and less so unless you like headaches or playing around don?t bother.

Also to play some online games you'll have to open ports that are not normally opened by default, OSX does not have an easy way to open these ports without turning off your firewall. GET A ROUTER!

i agree... passing internet and stuff through computers is just sh1te you will regret it after a few weeks/days/hours....

best thing is:

CABLE MODEM

|

|

V

ROUTER---->wireless connections eg. airport-enabled powerbook

|

-------->wired/wireless connections eg. Xbox, PC

yeah for xbox, streaming, games, bittorrent, etc. you WILL have to fiddle with opening ports and stuff....

ROUTERS are GREAt!! except when they crash every now and then but yeah definitely much better than passing traffic through computers. you want every device to connect 'directly' wired/wirelessly to the router....

edit1: corrected my poor ass ascii diagram

edit2: when a router 'crashes' normally you just turn it off, then on, then voila, your network is back up

edit3: a Router can have wired ports if you want to keep the wires to xbox and your PC... the Router can also transmit wirelessly to your powerbook...

so just in case you were wondering, this sort of Router means you don't necessarily need to "Wireless-Enable" your xbox or PC, to connect with them wirelessly from your powerbook

edit4: sheeet... hope i haven't confused ya more... maybe Relic can explain better if need be.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Thanks to you all for the help, I was getting myself confused with USB bottlenecks as I couldnt remember what the max data rate of USB 2.0 was, I thought it was something a bit lower than 480Mb/s

I realise the best way is to go via a router but I really dont need to be doing anything other than surfing with the powerbook, I have a good PC and an Xbox for games.

I have no need nor desire to wirelessly connect either the xbox or the pc... so I think a wireless PCI card / USB dongle would be easiest (and probably the cheapest). It would be exactly the same method and protocols im using for ICS for the xbox so its not *that* bad although a router would be easier probably

I'll have a look about in some shops, If it turns out that a router isnt that much more expensive (remember we have VAT rip-off tax in this country :/ ) then I'll probably go down that road. (edit - just had a look about and Im struggling to find one for under £60 )

In regards to the wirelss network card will any old 802.11g card do for my PC or does it need to be an airport extreme card?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Thanks to you all for the help, I was getting myself confused with USB bottlenecks as I couldnt remember what the max data rate of USB 2.0 was, I thought it was something a bit lower than 480Mb/s

I realise the best way is to go via a router but I really dont need to be doing anything other than surfing with the powerbook, I have a good PC and an Xbox for games.

I have no need nor desire to wirelessly connect either the xbox or the pc... so I think a wireless PCI card / USB dongle would be easiest (and probably the cheapest). It would be exactly the same method and protocols im using for ICS for the xbox so its not *that* bad although a router would be easier probably

I'll have a look about in some shops, If it turns out that a router isnt that much more expensive (remember we have VAT rip-off tax in this country :/ ) then I'll probably go down that road. (edit - just had a look about and Im struggling to find one for under £60 )

In regards to the wirelss network card will any old 802.11g card do for my PC or does it need to be an airport extreme card?

Well I don't know what your budget is but here is an idea of what a decent cheap router will cost you;

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpr..._id=LNKNA03D8S

Even for the most basic of needs I still recommend a router for security, ease of setup and network scalability to name a few advantages. Your Airport Extreme is a run of the mill Wireless G card; it will work fine with A, B and G routers/cards.

Please, save yourself the aggravation get a router, especially if your thinking of connecting the Xbox to a network. My two cents is over.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

....In regards to the wirelss network card will any old 802.11g card do for my PC or does it need to be an airport extreme card?

okay technically anything that conforms to the 802.11G or 802.11B standard. airport extreme is Apple's 802.11G product that like Relic says is backward compatible with 802.11B

Quote:

.....I really dont need to be doing anything other than surfing with the powerbook....

okay this is where i'm gonna have to sound like your mom and say... are you saying that you want to surf the internet from your powerbook wirelessly through a shared connection coming out of your PC?????????

yeah i'm not going to be too naggy so i'll end by saying that the router posted above is just nice, and it looks to be about 45-50 pounds street price

now, you may find some 'older stock' which is a similar thing by linksys, dlink or netgear which is 802.11B -- 11mbps which is really fast enough, you rarely use that full 54mbps all the time.... that may push it down to 30-40 pounds... so, just one router like that, about 30-40 pounds street price, 802.11B, should be just nice

you'll probably need some local help when picking out a router

okay, good luck matey

</advice-giving>
  • Reply 12 of 17
    lol OK OK I'll get a router.... are all you mac people like this

Nah just kidding, thanks for all the help..

No idiot flames or retarded posts...

Are all you mac people like this?

heheh
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

lol OK OK I'll get a router.... are all you mac people like this

Nah just kidding, thanks for all the help..

No idiot flames or retarded posts...

Are all you mac people like this?

heheh

Yep, and the best thing it's free, the advice that is. Happy trails, we're glad that you've decided to take the easy way out.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

GET A ROUTER!

Agreed. They aren't very expensive (about the same cost as a PCI wireless card) and that way you don't have to rely on Windows Firewall.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I meant to ask;

I will be able to browse my PC and open compatable files like avi's etc right?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

I meant to ask;

I will be able to browse my PC and open compatable files like avi's etc right?

Your Mac has built in Samba support, which allows you to browse file on windows once that drive is mounted. To mount, while on the desktop or having the finder in the foreground press "apple k" this will bring up the network browser, once there you can either type the IP address in manual like so ?smb://192.168.2.1? or click browse to view all available machines on your network.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Cool, just like Xbox Media Centre then

Thanks