charging light on powerbook cord question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, so I've noticed recently that when I plug in my cord to charge powerbook the little light stays green, but it still charges fine. Am I missing something? Is it because I'm only using the cord from the powerbrick to the computer, bypassing the more heavy-duty white extention cord part? Or maybe the orange part is burned out somehow?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Okay, so I've noticed recently that when I plug in my cord to charge powerbook the little light stays green, but it still charges fine. Am I missing something? Is it because I'm only using the cord from the powerbrick to the computer, bypassing the more heavy-duty white extention cord part? Or maybe the orange part is burned out somehow?

have you ever seen it turn orange? eg. when your powerbook battery is really low and you are *definitely* charging it?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Yeah, it used to turn orange all the time, didn't matter how low the charge was left on the battery, if it was in charge condition, it was orange. Just hoping it's not a sign of something bad to happen.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Yeah, it used to turn orange all the time, didn't matter how low the charge was left on the battery, if it was in charge condition, it was orange. Just hoping it's not a sign of something bad to happen.

nah... if your battery charge/discharge times seem okay, then its just some software thing or your power adapter doesnt feel like showing you 'orange' for some reason

just keep an eye on how your battery charge/discharge times are, i don't think its anything too major to fret about

in the past few years, and for most of us, the orange/green charge thingy has been working a-ok, you don't have to use the white adapter cord thingy, that's just to get extra length when you need it *tee hee hee that sounded naughty*

*ahem, back on point* if you're concerned and its under warranty you can go and bug Apple about it
  • Reply 4 of 5
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Yea, charge times haven't changed, so I wasn't too worried about it anyway. I'm not under warranty, but maybe at some point will pick up a new powerbrick. The cord on them doesn't seem designed to last a long time anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I don't think mine ever turned orange, and I'm on my second power adapter and second battery. The plug is a little loose in the socket, and you have to make sure that it is showing "charging" on the menu bar, but other than that it seems to work fine.

I would like to see that orange, though.

This is an original dual-USB 2001 500 mHz book though, so I can't complain.

--Johnny