Best subwoofer placement for 2.1 speakers?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(Note: Not sure if this should have gone in another forum, feel free to move if applicable)

I just ordered a set of JBL Creature 2 speakers, they are the first speakers of any kind (computer/stereo) I have owned that has a subwoofer. So I was looking for advice on placing the sub. I have seen pics where people had their sub on both the desk and the floor. The floor under my desk is carpeted, which I think would muffle the sound; and I'm afraid of kicking it. So I am planning on placing the sub either on the desk or preferably on the shelf under my printer table, but there is only 9-1/2" of height, so I'm not sure if the Creature sub will fit under there. (the height is listed at either 9' or 10' depending on the source, so it will be a tight fit!)

Although there is probably not much point to asking which would sound better, since when it comes to audio, 10 people will give you 10 different opinions!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    What is your living situation? Keep your neighbors in mind when setting up new speakers systems.

I think the obvious answer to your question is wait until they come in and test it out in different configurations.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Generally speaking, subwoofer placement can be pretty flexible. The low frequency sound it produces is omnidirectional, so as long as it is placed on a solid surface it should be fine. The two satellites will be the ones you'll fiddle with to get a good soundstage. That will depend on room size and what not.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rob2786rob2786 Posts: 34member
    i keep the subwoofer from my soundsticks on my desk, not really because of the sound, but just becuase it look so cool!!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I keep my sub (I have soundsticks) on the ground on the carpet for maximum bass feedback. Yes you have to consider neighbours. However, placing it on a desk, the same desk that you have your computer on, may crash your computer when you crank up the volume. I kid you not.

That's why the best place is on the floor. Mine is in the corner of the room, (the desk being right next to that corner) so I can't kick it and the cables are out of the way as much as possible. Against the wall also slightly increases the 'omph' of the bass.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Thanks for the feedback! According to UPS they should be here tomorrow!

Heh, and after ordering them yesterday through Amazon, I saw a set today in a local store for only $5 more...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Put in a corner, about 6'' from both walls.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You really should try different placements and see what works best. It could be that where the subwoofer is and where you sit, you get very weak, or way too much bass response (not up to my wave physics to explain it). I've had my roommates complain to me about my music's bass, when I thought it was a low/moderate level. Moved it around and found a better configuration. Really interesting that some parts of the room have ridiculous amounts of bass when others do not.