Modem unexpectedly hangs up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I use my power book on the road now and then. I have been able to use an ISP provided number to access my email and the internet without hitch.

It has suddenly decided not to work. It dials okay, connects, and either at that point of after authentication it hangs up. I have configured and re-configured several times with no positive results.

The message box says Modem has unexpectedly hung up or words to that effect. I am admonished to check the config and try again.

I am wondering:

1 Can this be a hardware issue that should be handled at an Apple repair sation

2 Is it really a config issue that I have just not handled.

3 Is there a diagnostic that can be run and a repair made with the disk that came with the machine.

My airport extreme works flawlessly here and at other wireless nodes.

Of course, if someone out there can give me a key to unlock this It would be deeply appreciated.

Jerry H

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Hi Jerry

Quote:

Originally posted by GBJERRY

I use my power book on the road now and then. I have been able to use an ISP provided number to access my email and the internet without hitch.

It has suddenly decided not to work. It dials okay, connects, and either at that point of after authentication it hangs up. I have configured and re-configured several times with no positive results.

The message box says Modem has unexpectedly hung up or words to that effect.

What do you see in the Internet Connect connection log window (menu "Window")? Last 20-30 lines should be enough to tell.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gbjerrygbjerry Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jido

Hi Jerry

What do you see in the Internet Connect connection log window (menu "Window")? Last 20-30 lines should be enough to tell.

Thanks jido: Here is a copy of the last episode from the log

Tue Mar 8 10:17:01 2005 : Dialing 6189718

Tue Mar 8 10:17:28 2005 : Modem Reliable Link Established.

Tue Mar 8 10:17:28 2005 : Modem Compression Established.

Tue Mar 8 10:17:31 2005 : Serial connection established.

Tue Mar 8 10:17:35 2005 : Terminal connection established.

Tue Mar 8 10:17:35 2005 : Using interface ppp0

Tue Mar 8 10:17:35 2005 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.modem

Tue Mar 8 10:17:43 2005 : Hangup (SIGHUP)

Tue Mar 8 10:17:43 2005 : Modem hangup

Tue Mar 8 10:17:43 2005 : Connection terminated.

I can't tell if this is indicative of anything. But it is exactly what happens each time.

Jerry H
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    I get that when the ISP hangs up on me. Their lines may be too busy and they prune extra connections.

Your ISP probably has some kind of discussion forum where you can speak about your problems...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gbjerrygbjerry Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jido

I get that when the ISP hangs up on me. Their lines may be too busy and they prune extra connections.

Your ISP probably has some kind of discussion forum where you can speak about your problems...

Well, that could be the case but if it is it has been going on for weeks now. I have been in touch with them and we have set and re-set passwords and other config data several times. They can find no problems.

I suspect there is some arcane configuration conflict that I have not discovered here. I just can't find it nor can I find a new place to look! The data I sent you goes on for days with each episode the same.

My next move is to delete the dial-up presence altogether and start over from scratch, If that fails then I am going to start thinking hardware.

Thank you for your help.

Jerry H