PowerBooks and Dvorak

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does Apple make PowerBooks with the Dvorak keyboard layout? Or do I have to rip them off and re-arrange them myself? Is that safe? What is the safe way to do it? I am getting a baby PowerBook G4 12" and I want to get in to Dvorak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it is safe to rip them off, thats what i did, maybe i should post pictures...

just get a screwdriver and go to town from the top of the keys...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    ON the PBG4 12"? Cool. Sure post a pic, thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>ON the PBG4 12"? Cool. Sure post a pic, thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

naw 667 DVI.... lusting after the Mini tho....

I cant imagine it would be that different
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Yeah post pics, I don't even know what Dvorak is supposed to look like.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Can't post pic now as my Pismo is still off being repaired but I can add that it really is easy to pull the keys off. Use a knife to get under the first, then the rest just pop off by hand.

Interestingly, when my computer returned from repair the first time, they'd replaced the Dvorak keyboard with a new (second hand) QWERTY one - I could tell it wasn't just rearranged because this person used the left shift all the time, and I only use the right shift key.

Amorya
  • Reply 6 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>Yeah post pics, I don't even know what Dvorak is supposed to look like.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you don't know the arrangement why do you want to use it?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Yes Mom. I was lazy...

Maybe I'll find the pic somewhere else, say, <a href="http://images.google.com/images?q=dvorak+keyboard+layout&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search"; target="_blank">Google Image Search.</a>

I am excited about learning Dvorak. <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001101"; target="_blank">This</a> thread really motivated me! Thanks everyone for getting me into it...I expect my posts will be a lot shorter in the next few weeks!

[fixed url - Brad]

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 14
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Dvorak is great, but rearranging the keys isn't neccesarily a good idea. First, you'll lose the little nubs that tell your fingers if your hands are centered right, and secondly, if you want to learn Dvorak properly, you shouldn't be looking at the keyboard.

Here's how i learned: I fired up KeyCaps with the Dvorak layout selected in Keyboard prefs. I took a screenshot of the layout, and printed it out. If i couldn't remember where to put my finger for a certain letter, i didn't look at my hands, but instead looked at the picture, and then thought about where my finger should go.

It was painful for about 5 days, and then suddenly easy. I now type exclusively in Dvorak, and love it.

-robo
  • Reply 9 of 14
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I did this on the college computers, by printing out a little card of the layout, which I laminated and kept in my pocket. However, it was much easier at home when I could look at the letters.

Amorya
  • Reply 10 of 14
    what is great about dvorak, is it just better to code with or something? Or is it great with everyday typing as well? I was looking at a chart of the keys the other day, and thought to myself it'd be impossible to switch.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Well, they do make those plastic keyboard covers for iBooks and 15" powerbooks. I'm sure they'll make them for the new 'books, so just drop one of those on and use a permanant marker to designate the proper key layout.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by kraig911:

<strong>what is great about dvorak</strong><hr></blockquote>Less finger travel and more evenly distributed keystrokes. That makes for much faster theoretical typing speeds and for less finger and wrist strain.

See the thread in General Discussion that Aquatik included in his post for some general information about and advantages to using Dvorak:

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001101"; target="_blank">How many of us use dvorak?</a>

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by kraig911:

<strong>what is great about dvorak, is it just better to code with or something? Or is it great with everyday typing as well? I was looking at a chart of the keys the other day, and thought to myself it'd be impossible to switch.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, there's a lot less finger movement, so typing is basically painless. Once you reach a point in learning Dvorak, you realize how much nicer it is.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    OK robo I will try this first. On the nubs, you are right. Brad thanks for fixing my link. What was wrong?