Powerbook/iBook question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I must be really stupid. In fact, call me stupid right now before you go any further. Ok. On the apple web-site the iBook is rated at 800mhz while the 12 inch Powerbook has only 867mhz. The Powerbook has got to be more than 67mhz faster than the iBook. Is it that the Powerbook is much faster than the iBook's G3, just not in clocking speed. So why should i buy the 12 inch Powerbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The PowerBook has a G4 processor...you can read about the differences between the G3 and G4 here (bear in mind that the article dates back to 1999, when the G4 first came out):

<a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8G4/G4vsG3.html"; target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8G4/G4vsG3.html</a>;

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: kneelbeforezod ]</p>
  • Reply 1 of 10
    Stupid

looks cooler
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Slotracer152:

<strong>looks cooler</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh yeah - that too
  • Reply 3 of 10
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Did you read about the <a href="http://www.apple.com/powerbook/processor.html"; target="_blank">G4 Processor</a> in the PowerBook, inparticular AltiVec/Velocity Engine? Applications that utilise it should run significantly faster.

Stupid
  • Reply 5 of 10
    that link used too much tech-talk for me to understand it. If you could tell me what it says in regular english, i will be very thankfull.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    List of differences off the top of my head:

* 12" Powerbook uses a G4 processor, which will be good for applications using video, mp3 ripping, or anything in general that takes advantage of the Velocity Engine (basically all the iApps, Photoshop, FCP, among others).

* 12" Powerbook is slightly lighter in weight (4.6 lbs vs. 4.9 lbs)

* Out of the box support for monitor spanning up to 1600 x 1200 on an external monitor

* Graphics is sitting on a 4x AGP bus for the PowerBook, only a 2x AGP bus for the iBook

* Larger base hard drive (40 GB in Powerbook vs. 30 GB for iBook)

* More base memory (256 MB in Powerbook - really 128MB + 128 MB in the user slot, vs. 128 MB in iBook)

* audio-in port

* Support for internal airport extreme

* for whoever cares, includes QuickBooks

* ability to have Superdrive if you need DVD burning capabilities
  • Reply 7 of 10
    thanks alot all.

But i still dont know if dishing out the extra cash is worth it, do i really need it? (internal question)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    If all you need is email, web surfing and office applications, the G3 iBook is a great buy. If you want to get the most out of multimedia stuff (Photoshop, Logic, Final Cut...even iTunes and iMovie) the G4 will be worth it.

I try not to think in terms of 'need' so much as 'want'...sadly, I also have to think 'afford.'
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by xterra48:

<strong>that link used too much tech-talk for me to understand it. If you could tell me what it says in regular english, i will be very thankfull.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Very basically, AltiVec enables more operations to be performed per second. I believe up to 16 operations can be performed at the same time (in a single clock cycle).

A processor running at 867 million cycles per second, performing up to 16 operations per cycle, is a lot faster than a processor running at 800 million cycles per second, performing say 1 operation per cycle, or even 1 operation every two cycles.

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 10
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    If u want to attract more attention, the 12" PB is bound to attract more stares and green eyes.

Also, the 12" PB have a bigger harddisk, allowing to store more content.