Airport ready?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys I'm getting my Mac tonight and was wondering if all the new models are compatible with Airport, as in I just need the card and I'm set? A fast reply would be very helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Reality:

<strong>Hi guys I'm getting my Mac tonight and was wondering if all the new models are compatible with Airport, as in I just need the card and I'm set? A fast reply would be very helpful. Thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

every mac save the new towers and new PBs have airport card slots

the new machines use airport extreme cards

and the high end PB has one built in

in short YES! GO NUTS!

heh
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Ah yes! The less wires the better for me. I don't fill like having a Ethernet cable running all the way up to me room. Thank you for the reply.

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: Reality ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I just got an Airport Extreme basestation 2 days ago- its so cool to be surfing wirelessly! You can check out some pictures here:

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/tacojohn/PhotoAlbum21.html"; target="_blank">Pics</a>

Note that the older macs only can use the old airport cards- so if you don't have a. new 1GHz 17" iMac, new powermac, or 12 or 17" powerbook you can't use the new 54Mbps on the airport extreme basestations, you can still use the old cards, but you still only get 11Mbps.

What mac did you get?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Well I'm officially buying the Computer online tomorrow. My mother asked me to look aorun online all day tomorrow for the best deals and plces to buy. She wants a mac also but understand the value of a dollar. From the sound of it I'm going to haft to get the basic airport since I'm getting a eMac and she wants a iBook. I was reading up on the airport extreme today and was wowed on how it was 5 times faster. Still with these two machines will web surfing be as slow as dial up because we have cable and want to use it's speed. Oh! And those are sweet screens!

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: Reality ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Reality:

<strong>Well I'm officially buying the Computer online tomorrow. My mother asked me to look all day tomorrow. She want a mac also but understand the value of a dollar. From the sounds of it I'm going to haft to get the basic airport since I'm getting a eMac and she wants a iBook. I was reading up on the airport extreme today and was wowed on how it was 5 times faster. Still with these two machines will web surfing be as slow as dial up because we have cable and want to use it. Oh! And those are sweet screens!</strong><hr></blockquote>

dude....

cable MAX will be 1.5 MBS

AirPort is 11MBs

AE is 54MBs

i think you will be fine, the weak link is the Cable, not the airport...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I have a friend who has an eMac and he is really happy- he has the 700 G4 with combo drive.

I have an iBook 500 and I'm really happy. RIght now I'm writing this message via airport wireless while watching TV on my couch- its the best.

I don't know if you knew this but if you got an eMac and you mom got an iBook you could put an airport card in both of them. Then connect to the internet with the eMac and have wireless internet on the iBook (kinda think of the eMac as being a software basestation). Only problem is the eMac must be on to share its internet w/ the other wireless computers on the network.

Pretty cool I think- too bad I have an airport extreme basestation!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    BTW- if you are a student (college) you can get an educational discount on both of the computers (about $50 off).

If not I would also check out their refurbished computers too- they often have heavy discounts and the wame warrenty as the new products.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

dude....

cable MAX will be 1.5 MBS

AirPort is 11MBs

AE is 54MBs

i think you will be fine, the weak link is the Cable, not the airport...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cable is the weak link in most cases, but it doesn't always top out at 1.5 Mbit. when I had @Home I got in excess of 5 Mbit. Some of my friends got in excess of 8 Mbit. That's more than the old AirPort was really capable of. On my AirPort network, I rarely get better than 6 Mbit communicating one way. If I fileshare between two AirPort clients, that throughput gets halved.

...but yes, it's most likely that the cable is the bottleneck.

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>