1Ghz Powermac vs 1Ghz imac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can someone tell me (benchmark) if there is much speed difference between the 1Ghz Powermac and 1Ghz imac. Both have the same processor and 256K L2 cache but the tower also has 1mb L3 cache but the imac has none.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by konkon:

<strong>Can someone tell me (benchmark) if there is much speed difference between the 1Ghz Powermac and 1Ghz imac. Both have the same processor and 256K L2 cache but the tower also has 1mb L3 cache but the imac has none.

thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Im going to go out on a limb and say...

The new Powermac 1 GiggleHurts is slightly faster in everything than the new IMac 1 GiggleHurts.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    On the other hand, you get more for your money with the iMac. It includes a screen, a superdrive, and speakers for only $200 more. On the other hand, it's not quite as fast and not nearly as expandable.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    On the other hand, the iMac has a faster system bus and faster RAM, although I don't think 33MHz makes a huge difference.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Kecksy:

<strong>On the other hand, the iMac has a faster system bus and faster RAM, although I don't think 33MHz makes a huge difference.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No it doesn't, they both have a 133 system bus using the same pc2100 ram. They have the same vid card too. Only difference is the L3 cache on the PowerMac, and the Superdrive and 17" LCD on the iMac. Which is worth more....

I guess apple is saying that 1 meg of L3 cache is worth as much as a 17" LCD.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Well I just got my tax return and I heading to apple store in NH to buy the 17" iMac. If I was to order the 1GHz tower with a 80Gig HD, SuperDrive and a 17" display the cost would be $2423. Tommorow I will have the 17 iMac with a 256Mb upgrade and MS office all for $2098 (no sales tax). The same config in the tower would be 2721 and having a tower w/L3 1Mb Cach is not worth $623.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Skippy:

<strong>I guess apple is saying that 1 meg of L3 cache is worth as much as a 17" LCD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...and 4 PCI Slots, FW 800, Ultra ATA/100, room for 720 GB storage and 2 GB RAM.

The iMac is useless for certain purposes. In the tower you are paying for the expandability. If you don't need it, it seems a waste of money, but if you do...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    The new 17" iMac also has ATA/100.

BostonMH - I think you'll really enjoy the iMac. I know people that have the old 17" and they love it. The new one should really exceed that. Don't worry about a tower unless you need to add cards and/or need to do some really beefy work. The only thing you really can't upgrade on the iMac is the video card and unless you want gaming, the 4MX with 64MB is still a pretty good card for "normal" use. Plus a 4x dvd burner and a 17" LCD. I don't know how you're getting the 256MB upgrade but I would stuff as much RAM into it as you can afford.

Enjoy the ride and give us the lowdown on it if you get it.

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: opuscroakus ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 17
    The tricky thing about expandibiltiy is that you never know if your REALLY going to need it....I guess it all depends on what you are using the computer for.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I was playing with those two macs in the Apple Store the other day.

The only difference I could really tell was that the PowerMac got 63 FPS in the full screen iTunes visualizer whereas the iMac got about 52 FPS.

Oh, and the PowerMac had a nice big 20" LCD hooked up to it - but the total cost was quite a bit more.

If I were to get one or the other I'd go with the iMac - it comes with a superdrive, monitor and speakers. It's more of a complete system for the money. The AppleCare (if you were to get it) is cheaper too...

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 17
    you can tell what happens with out the cache. i dont know why i have it or where i got it, but there is a control panel that lets you decide weather to use 1, or both processors, and decide to use the l2 or l3 cache. i turned them all of and went to one for a day on my dual 867. just to apriciate what apple has done for me. javascript:%20x()
  • Reply 11 of 17
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    [quote]Originally posted by myahmac:

<strong>just to apriciate what apple has done for me. javascript:%20x()</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now what that means? 20% faster or 20 times faster?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think the only difference is the L3 cache, assuming that they use the same 80 gB HD at 7200 rpm, the same mobo with ATA 100 features and DDR RAM and the same video card based upon the g4 MX. I would bet for a difference of performance from 5 to 10 % .

However, is any people here have a comment on the 17 screen. How does it compare with the 15 inch (except the size of course). I have no opportunities to see this mac near my home. Thanks in advance.

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: Powerdoc ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 17
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    [quote]Originally posted by BostonMH:

<strong>Well I just got my tax return and I heading to apple store in NH to buy the 17" iMac. If I was to order the 1GHz tower with a 80Gig HD, SuperDrive and a 17" display the cost would be $2423. Tommorow I will have the 17 iMac with a 256Mb upgrade and MS office all for $2098 (no sales tax). The same config in the tower would be 2721 and having a tower w/L3 1Mb Cach is not worth $623. </strong><hr></blockquote>

You do know you Mass. folks are supposed to voluntarily report your NH purchases to the Mass. DOR so you can pay your state it's 6%, right?

Oddly enough these big malls we build in NH, straddling the Mass border, are still very popular with Mass residents. It's almost as if they think they'll get a tax break.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    This is a little off-topic but I've got to know. HOw does the 17" iMac screen compare to the new 20" LCD display? (Besides size!)

I went to Comp USA and saw the 17" LCD next to the 20" ACD. The 20" was noticeably sharper. I have the 17" ASD so it is was with some disappointment I observed a qualtiy as well as real estate gap. If youre going to buy the Power Mac vs. an iMac, save until you can get the 20 incher. If not, get the iMac. Side by side, you just won't be satisfied with the "old" 17" studio display. There was no 17 iMac on display on that day.

Anyway, the reason I want to know if the iMac is as crisp and bright as the 20" is because an iMac will likely be my next computer. I only got a Power Mac last year cause I wanted a larger screen and there was an incredible deal under the educational program. After seeing the 20", I would want that level of brilliance. I have read here that the quality of the larger iMac is greater than the 15" iMac. But is it as good as the 20"?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I saw the 20-inch display alongside the 17-inch iMac a couple days ago and there was no comparison: the 20 had much better resolution and richer color. Now I wonder if the 17-inch Studio Display outperforms the iMac's, too. Has anyone seen these side by side?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Thank you Macaroon. Maybe the 20" beats the iMac and the stand alone 17" just cause its newer tech. I hope the iMac catches up in terms of screen quality.

And just for curiosity sake I, too, would like to know how the 17" ASD compares to the 17" iMac.

I must say again, that 20 incher, its really beautiful.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Get the imac... Sold my old 867 PowerMac (loud as heck) and got the imac 17in 800 ( did I see a difference in speed ) yes and no?? but was it worth it to have a 867 and a 22in display (NO) Get the imac until Apple gets off their lame butt to change that old G3 Tower design Im keeping my imac But I see a Apple making a G5 down the line that will blow away what we got now and with a tower design that will knock our socks off....