How to add a page to Pages?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

I am stuck, could not find any info after RTFMming either. So here's the problem:

I am creating a new document in Pages from a template. Into this new document I want to cut and paste from an old document which is multiple pages long.

Pages creates a document with one page. I want to add a page to be able to paste things from page 2 of my old document.

I cannot seem to find a way to do that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    I don't understand the question!

Pages acts like a word processor, so if you paste in text and graphics, it will add as many pages are necessary to accomodate it.

If you want to start on page 2, you could insert a page break.

But all thi is straightforward stuff, so you must be asking something else.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Hi Skipjack,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I don't know whast I am doing wrong, but when I paste an old document into the new template, new pages are not being automatically added. The matter just flows out of the bottom of the first page and disappears into the grey background. Funnily, if I delete a few lines in the new document, the matter that diappeared off the bottom of the screen gets moved back up into the visible page.

I tried to go to the menu on top and tried both to insert a page break or pages (that semeed to be the obvious and logical thing to do), but both menu options are greyed out.

According to the Help if I just keep typing and I need a new page, the system would add new pages automatically, but here I am not typing - I am copying and pasting, so maybe that is a different situation.

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 6
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    up in the upper left corner, there a button that says pages with a little green "+" sign. If you select that, it allows you to insert additional pages. Remember, Pages isn't exactly a Word Processor - It's a cross between a WP and a page layout program, so it behaves somewhere in between the two.

hope that helps..
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Hi OBJRA10,

That is greyed out too. Sorry, I should have mentioned that already among the things I tried.

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 6
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

Hi Skipjack,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I don't know whast I am doing wrong, but when I paste an old document into the new template, new pages are not being automatically added.

Please give more details.

I just tried pasting an old Word document into a new Pages text page and everything worked as expected.

Are you using something other than a blank page? I mean, are you using a more complicated template?

I haven't been able to duplicate what you saw, so don't have any ideas.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Hi Skipjack,

Sorry, I should have mentioned thhis in the beginning itself - I am trying to get my 2 page Word doc resume into the resume template of Pages.

If I just open the word doc in Pages it opens fine, but it looks exactly like it did in Word, so I was trying to jazz it up by using one of Pages' resume templates.

Anyway, I thhink I found a workaround: Open a new document in the resume template, go to the last line and hit Return a few times to adsd a new page, and only then start to cut and paste from the Word resume into the template.

I hope this is only a workaround because if this is the actual solution, then it is kind of disheartening to know that one is supposed to know the number of pages in a document before beginning to create it.

Thanks for all your efforts and assistance

Cheers